Senior Software Engineer- NoSQL Infrastructure
New York, NY
Posted Nov 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 106595
Bloomberg’s NoSQL Infrastructure team offers Apache Cassandra as a hosted service. We have visibility across the organization as we're providing a pathway for scalable data storage. We support a wide array of critical and highly-visible applications such as archival data stores, ultra low-latency market data caches and trade event stores. We manage thousands of Cassandra nodes storing petabytes of data and billions of requests per day.
We focus on fostering Cassandra adoption by improving its usability within Bloomberg. The team has developed automation workflows for managing the lifecycle of clusters, keyspace deployment and schema management. We’ve implemented client libraries for service discovery that we are looking to enhance with custom load balancing and retry policies. We also provide solutions engineering for application teams, helping them with data modeling and architecture. Currently, we are focused on improving our core automation and monitoring of Cassandra, developing a feature-rich self service console for managing Cassandra databases, and developing a proxy service to simplify data access to Cassandra. Underpinning all of this is an eye towards open source, adopting wherever possible industry standard solutions used by the open source community and contributing back patches.
We'll trust you to:
- Help application teams looking to use Cassandra with workload characterization, performance tuning and failure analysis.
- Improve the operability of the solution developing infrastructure such as cluster auto-healing, containerization, and automated upgrades.
- Improve the usability of the solution by building tooling such as our proxy service that does workload management for multi-tenant deployments and our database copy system.
- Identify feature gaps in the technologies and work with the open source community to co-design and co-develop features and bug fixes.
You'll need to have:
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field of study or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with modern development methodologies and tools (Jira, Jenkins, Git, etc).
- Experience with object-oriented design.
- Solid understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Strong problem solving and communication skills.
We'd love to see:
- Upstream, accepted contributions to open source projects.
- A strong understanding of distributed systems.
- Production experience with NoSQL databases or other distributed storage technologies in a platform/infrastructure software engineering role.
If you’d like to know more about the work we do, check out Bloomberg's Github: https://github.com/bloomberg, our talk at Datastax Accelerate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjypMRrit9U, and a recent talk we gave on improving the snapshot subsystem in Cassandra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-aAeUH5drY&t=1428.
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience aligns best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus