Senior Software Engineer- Security Data Engineering
New York, NY
Posted Jan 4, 2023 - Requisition No. 113090
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and our product. From the biggest banks and hedge funds, financial institutions need timely, accurate data to capture opportunities and evaluate risks in a multifaceted market. We are a new team which was established to build a solution to support the data and analytical needs of Bloomberg’s Information Security organizations. In order to provide this level of service and the security, the Security Data Platform Team provides a solution that transforms petabytes of structured and unstructured data such as text, time series, and events into machine-readable knowledge fueling numerous security focused applications.
As a member you will be instrumental in all aspects of building a modern proprietary solution for delivering monitoring/alerting, anomaly detection and real-time analysis infrastructure in conjunction with our information security teams.
Working in a dedicated multi-disciplinary team, you will be responsible for the research, development, and stability of a new information security data solution. This role offers the ability to innovate and invent, helping define the technical foundations of this solution. Our solution is built on a modern container orchestration, streaming and data storage solution and provides a working base which Information Security Engineers can quickly perform the analysis and build the tools needed to ensure security of our infrastructure.
You'll make key technical decisions!. You'll be able to apply your existing knowledge while gaining experience from working with specialists in stream processing, Kubernetes, Hadoop and information security. You'll have the opportunity to create a significant impact on the overall information security capabilities!
How we give back:
This new team will make extensive use of open source software. As part of that, we make a commitment to upstreaming features we'll be developing. Whether pushing bug-fixes upstream, developing new features, giving presentations at conferences and meetups, or collaborating with industry leaders, open source will be at the heart of this team. It's not just something we do in our free time, it is how we work.
We’ll trust you to:
- Lead automation operation, installation, and monitoring of system components in our infrastructure stack
- Collaborate with information security personnel to understand their software and data needs, and design solutions to ingest, understand and present security related data
- Gather requirements and synthesize software solutions to meet them
- Produce developer and operational documentation, and solve run-time issues
- Provide performance analysis and capacity planning for clusters
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years of programming experience with an object-oriented programming language (Java, Scala, or Python)
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years experience working with Big Data technologies such as HDFS, Hadoop, Spark, Hive, HBase, Druid, etc.
- 2+ years experience working with Apache Kafka or other message queuing systems
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate across teams, manage competing goals and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
We’d love to see:
- Experience with/in containerized environments using Docker, Kubernetes, Swarm, Rancher, Mesos
- Experience with OSQuery, Santa, sysmon
- Experience writing parsers/schemas for semi-structured and unstructured content
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Solr, Cassandra and other database technologies
- Experience with authentication and authorization systems such as Kerberos and LDAP
- Open source involvement such as a well-curated blog, accepted contribution, or community presence
- Machine Learning applied to security use cases
You can also learn more about our work using the links below:
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience aligns best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus