Senior Software Engineer- Workflow Orchestration
New York, NY
Posted Nov 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 105430
Senior Software Engineer: Workflow Orchestration
The mission of the workflow orchestration team is to provide a multi-tenant, observable, and highly available infrastructure to address the need across Bloomberg to run repeatable and explainable workflows, backed by Kubernetes! Across the organization, infrastructure and application teams need this type of orchestration for a multitude of operations, including machine learning pipelines, data ingestion pipelines, infrastructure management workflows, source code build workflows, etc.
This is a young platform, so you will have opportunities to design and develop many fundamental components across several languages and technologies! We primarily work with Kubernetes and Golang, with a sizable amount of Python and ReactJS as well.
In line with our mission, highlights from our current roadmap include creating a highly available Kubernetes infrastructure with workflows federated across multiple clusters and automated disaster recovery; supporting event-driven workflows across technologies like Kafka, S3, etc.; enriching our React-based user interfaces; and Docker image security. We also work with many infrastructure teams such as the Data Science Platform, Database Services and Infrastructure, AI, and source code management to provide a great integration experience.
Our team makes extensive use of open-source projects (e.g. Kubernetes, Buildpacks, Argo, Kyverno) and is involved in many of their communities. We collaborate widely with the industry, contribute back to the open source projects, and even present at conferences. We also are active members of inner-source projects at Bloomberg, contributing to cloud-agnostic software infrastructure components across the organization.
If you are a software engineer who is passionate about building resilient, highly available infrastructure and seamless, usable full stack solutions, we'd like to talk to you about an opening on our team.
We'll trust you to:
- Interact with current and prospective users of our platform to understand their requirements and shape our roadmap
- Be an active part of translating those requirements into intuitive designs for our platform to facilitate our users to focus on solving business problems
- Interact with other Bloomberg application and infrastructure teams to coordinate and contribute to common solutions used across the organization beyond Workflow Orchestration
- Innovate and design full-stack solutions that keep in mind strict production SLA: efficiency, multi-tenancy, high availability, reliability across clusters/data centers, etc.
- Implement those solutions by contributing to an ever-expanding codebase applying modern paradigms and frameworks
- Identify feature gaps in the technologies we utilize and work with the open source community to co-design and co-develop features
- Troubleshoot and debug run-time issues
You'll need to have:
- Passion for developing and supporting modern software infrastructure
- Experience working with full-stack systems, from core infrastructure to UI
- Experience working in multi-tenant platform engineering
- A strong understanding of and interest in distributed systems
- Solid understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Accepted contributions to open source projects
- Experience with Kubernetes and its broader ecosystem (custom resources, prometheus, service mesh etc.)
- Experience building high quality user interfaces in ReactJS
- Experience with workflow orchestration tools such as Argo, Airflow, Nifi, or Tekton
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus