Senior UX Researcher
New York, NY
Posted Jan 3, 2023 - Requisition No. 112897
The UX team is responsible for uncovering insights about our users’ needs and goals. We translate these insights into valuable and highly usable software solutions across a wide range of products! These products span multiple financial products verticals, key frameworks shared across the solution, and critical employee products and services that enable the company to run. Throughout the product development lifecycle UX works in close collaboration with their business and engineering counterparts.
We help our product teams focus on the end user and are responsible for leading qualitative and quantitative user research initiatives that influence the evolution of Bloomberg products! They inspire change by evangelizing for the integration of research methods into the development process. Researchers are part of a UX design team primarily focused on a particular business areas but engage with their peers as part of the research community of practice.
As a Researcher you will work on business critical research projects within your team’s area of focus. The ideal candidate is driven by the desire to be a user advocate and is passionate about gathering insights based on direct observation and evidence-based standard methodologies in the field to create products that are useful, usable, and satisfying.
Researchers work closely with product managers, designers, prototypers, engineers, and sales throughout the development process.
- Early on in a product's development, they plan and conduct interviews, contextual inquiries, and field studies with users and subject-matter experts to develop an understanding of users' needs and workflows.
- They evaluate early stage concepts through empirical methods (e.g. first-click studies, card-sorting, guerilla interviews) and analytic methods (e.g. heuristic evaluation, cognitive walkthrough) and include considerations of diversity & inclusion in their deliberations (ex: GenderMag method).
- In later stages, they plan and conduct usability analyses in our innovative usability lab, or using remote tools.
- During development, they work with our data scientists and engineers to assure that our products are instrumented in a way that allows us to evaluate their use while maintaining the privacy of our clients.
- With deployed products, they plan and conduct analyses to illuminate where the product is serving users’ needs across regions and roles and how the team should evolve its concept and implementation.
- As practice experts, they support product through their own research, mentor UX designers in their research efforts, and promote the value of UX research within our organization and to the broader UX profession.
As life-long learners, they continuously increase their research skills and industry knowledge, via internal training and education, industry conferences, and our UX book club.
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years of experience in user experience research in a product setting
- M.S. in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Interaction Design, Cognitive -Psychology, Cognitive Science, or related field is preferred; Ph.D. is desired
- Proven ability to design and implement exploratory field studies, usability inspections, usage analysis, and lab studies
- Superior verbal and written presentation skills to communicate clear, concise findings and useful recommendations
- Solid understanding of a recording/logging tool such as Ovo Studios, Morae, Camtasia, etc.
- Flexibility to travel (10%), including internationally
We’d love to see:
- Experience with statistical analysis, including large scale usability studies
- Familiarity working in financial domains
- Experience working with enterprise products or software as a service
- Knowledge of eye-tracking methods
Your portfolio should include deliverables that display your mastery of methods. We are as interested in seeing materials that illustrate your process (e.g. research plan, discussion guide, analysis) as we are in seeing the quality of your reporting.
Please provide us with a link to your portfolio and include it in your application. If you need some other way of showing us your work (either by emailing it, bringing it in person if feasible, or through an online real-time screen-sharing session), please apply for the role, and we'll contact you to make arrangements to view it.
Please do not, without proper consent, share or disclose to Bloomberg any confidential or proprietary information that you may have obtained in connection with employment with any other employer, or which may be considered the Work Product of any other individual or entity.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 210,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus