Senior Web Engineer - Bloomberg Law
New York, NY
Posted Jan 14, 2022 - Requisition No. 99004
At Bloomberg Law, we’re building the world’s most sophisticated legal research platform. Our platform is built on a massive search engine that ranges over billions of legal documents--laws, lawsuits, books, treatises, how-tos, and all the legal news from our award-winning newsdesk. On top of this dataset, we’ve built a suite of analytics and ML-powered tools that enable attorneys to do things like analyze how a judge has ruled on a certain topic, see how the language in a contract compares to market, or parry their opponents’ arguments with a case they haven’t even thought of! Our mission is to automate away the tedious aspects of lawyering and help our customers work smarter on the hard stuff.
As we’ve worked to transform the legal industry with technology, we’ve also built a working community in which women, people of color, and other minorities thrive, both as engineers and managers. We’re committed to continuing to evolve a culture that recognizes, supports, and promotes people of all backgrounds. We’re looking for people who approach their work with thoughtfulness, care, and a spirit of cooperation.
Who we are:
To complement our collaborative culture, we’ve also invested in tooling that foregrounds developer ergonomics. We ship code early and often, and have a whole team dedicated to making that easy. Our CI workflow is fully automated and deploys every PR to its own testing environment, so you get feedback quickly. We’ve also built an experimentation framework to help us make product decisions with data. Finally, as the largest web product within Bloomberg, we’re able to leverage the considerable resources of the wider company (services, tooling, data centers), while also setting standards across the company for web-facing software.
We’ll trust you to:
- Engage with product owners to understand and refine the scope of user problems, working together to develop innovative technical solutions with a focus on meeting our users where they are
- Use metrics to make data-driven decisions
- Design and implement sustainable applications with a focus on customer facing APIs, single page frontends, hybrid cloud architectures and proactive system monitoring
- Bring your experience and expertise to our existing systems by working closely with your new peers to help influence the technology roadmap for our application stack
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years experience building large-scale client-facing web applications
- We use Rails & Spring Boot primarily, but if you’re fluent in Flask, Node, etc., that’s cool too
- We don’t need a framework expert so much as someone familiar with navigating a large codebase and microservice architectures
- 3+ years experience in front end web development
- We use Vue.js extensively, but if you’re fluent in React, Angular, etc., that works too
We'd love to see:
- A passion for testing
- A deep understanding of modern web applications and issues related to scale, security, availability, performance, cross-browser compatibility, and continuous deployment.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.