Senior Web Engineer - Consumer Website
New York, NY
Posted Jan 26, 2021 - Requisition No. 88474
What can you do as a media company with the information and resources of one of the largest financial technology firms? The engineers behind the Bloomberg Consumer Web team help answer these questions every day. We build and manage web applications and supporting systems that deliver market-moving news, data, video, audio and ultimately represent the brand that is Bloomberg to a global and dynamic audience. We keep millions of users informed every day. This is Bloomberg.com.
In a challenging industry and an ever-changing technical landscape, we are devoted to delivering quality software - and quickly. Our purpose is to understand our users' needs, scale and performance limitations and emerging technology trends for efficient and reliable delivery.
We'll trust you to:
- Collaborate within an Agile, multi-disciplinary, fast moving team
- Take ownership of technical solutions, development and delivery to production
- Develop in all levels of a web application stack, from the client to server side
- Explore and evaluate the value of new and emerging web technologies
- A strong understanding of Computer Science fundamentals and an understanding of asynchronous design patterns
- Experience working with multiple browsers and user-agents, quirks and solutions
- Knowledge of browser internals such as Rendering engines, Parsing and DOM tree construction, Layout, Painting and optimizing techniques
- Fluency in test-driven development, code reviews, distributed source code management and automated quality assurance
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- An interest in understanding user behavior using A/B tests and analytics and how that drives product design and decisions
- Experience with web performance challenges delivering content to a global audience (progressive enhancement, performance budgets, SpeedIndex optimization, CDNs)
- A passion for standardization, style guides and process efficiency and bias for action
- Experience defining and developing highly available distributed systems
- Contributions to any open source web projects or JS libraries
You'll need to have:
We'd love to see:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.