Senior Web Engineer - Data Visualization
New York, NY
Posted Feb 19, 2020 - Requisition No. 81405
Bloomberg Media empowers global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion, and proprietary data distributed on every platform, across every time zone reaching over 80 million unique visitors a month through its digital properties. The Data Visualization team is embedded within the Bloomberg News Graphics Team–a tight-knit group of about 30 data journalists, researchers, designers and developers around the world.
Our mission is to innovate and create technology for data visualization and data journalism within the newsroom. We develop charting tools that enable the entire newsroom to create rich, data driven stories, support a platform for interactive data journalism, and lead the creation of custom data visualization products such as live global election results.
We're seeking an experienced engineer to build bespoke data visualizations and interactive features, while also supporting the full-stack applications and infrastructure that enable the newsroom at large to do the same. We work with Svelte, React, Node.js, Python, D3, Sass and more.
We'll trust you to:
- Collaborate within an agile, multi-disciplinary, fast moving team
- Take ownership of technical solutions, development and delivery to production
- Develop in all levels of a web application stack, from the client to server side
- Deliver cross browser solutions on a news deadline
You'll Need to Have:
- 5+ years of web development experience maintaining scalable, highly available sites
- Proficiency in at least one back end language: Node.js, Python, Ruby, PHP
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Data analysis, information/visualization design, or 3D experience
- Knowledge of modern distributed infrastructure, including containerized applications utilizing Docker and Kubernetes
- Interest in the wider world of data journalism
- Experience working in a news-driven environment
We'd Love to See:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.