Senior Web Engineer - Media Connect Applications
New York, NY
Posted Sep 8, 2021 - Requisition No. 90290
The Bloomberg Terminal gives clients immediate membership to a community upwards of 300,000 of the world’s most influential decision makers. We connect individuals with this robust network spanning finance, business and government—for a distinct advantage when generating ideas, conducting research and finding trading partners. The Bloomberg community represents a world of potential colleagues, collaborators and customers from across the globe.
The Media Connect team is responsible for providing real-time communication solutions for the Bloomberg Professional Service. We specialize in developing applications for voice and video collaboration. We are currently building a cross-platform videoconference application having deep integration with the Bloomberg Terminal, especially its chat tool: Instant Bloomberg. This application leverages the Jitsi open source project at its core.
We are seeking driven software engineers with experience in web development, who want to own the product and who can thrive in a team environment.
We’ll trust you to:
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in developing full stack web applications while adhering to best practices
- Take ownership of projects and their life cycle, stewarding them from conception to shipping
- Collaborate effectively across product, UX, and engineering to deliver concrete results
- Become proficient with WebRTC and related real-time communication technologies
- Contribute to Jitsi open source projects
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years of experience developing full stack web applications
- Proficiency with HTML, CSS, browser quirks, caching, cookies, and web toolchains
- Proficiency with HTTP, TLS, Nginx, Node.js, authentication, and security
- Proficiency with frameworks like React, Redux, Express
- Strong understanding of asynchronous design patterns
- Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Excellent communication skills
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- Experience with WebRTC
- Experience building Progressive Web Apps
- Experience packaging web applications with Electron
- Experience with mobile development and React Native
- Familiarity with SQL, Python, or Lua
- Knowledge of GitOps and 12 Factor applications
- Professional experience deploying to AWS
- Experience building highly available, scalable, distributed systems
- Experience contributing to open source projects
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.