Senior Web Engineer- Media websites
New York, NY
Posted Jun 29, 2021 - Requisition No. 88474
Bloomberg Media supplies global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion, and proprietary data distributed on every platform. Our flagship website, www.bloomberg.com, serves over 65 million unique visitors a month and consistently ranks among the top 10 most visited news and financial websites on the internet.
On the Subscriptions team, you’ll get to build the products and experiences that help drive our users from first-touch visitors to regular subscribers; building at web scale while also living up to Bloomberg’s reputation for customer service and focus. We are constantly improving our experience for the benefit of new and existing clients, and are looking for someone who excels at owning and understanding product requirements, not just building them. Just as with other teams within Bloomberg, we are devoted to delivering quality software quickly.
What’s in it for you:
- Build out and manage modern backend applications utilizing Node.js/Typescript and Java/SpringBoot, or propose something new that is the right tool for the job
- Expand out our suite of client-side tools for managing a user journey using React.js (and preact)
- Delve into our event-driven microservices architecture utilizing ActiveMQ and our Java/SpringBoot stack
- Opportunities for domain ownership and being able to significantly shape the technical and product direction of the team alongside other motivated stakeholders
You'll need to have:
- A strong understanding of Computer Science fundamentals and an understanding of asynchronous design patterns
- Experience working with multiple browsers and user-agents, knowing the quirks and solutions
- Knowledge of browser internals such as Rendering engines, Parsing and DOM tree construction, Layout, Painting, and optimizing techniques
- Fluency in test-driven development, code reviews, distributed source code management, and automated quality assurance
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- An interest in understanding user behavior using A/B tests and analytics and how that drives product design and decisions
- Experience with web performance challenges delivering content to a global audience (progressive enhancement, performance budgets, web core vitals, CDNs)
- A passion for standardization, style guides, process efficiency, and bias for action
- Experience defining and developing highly available distributed systems
- Contributions to any open source web projects or JS libraries
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.