Senior Web Graphics Engineer - Visualization Team
New York, NY
Posted Sep 16, 2022 - Requisition No. 103688
Data Visualization is the window our clients use to explore, analyze and interact with the financial markets. It’s an essential tool for innovation, insight, and creativity and is a key element of what makes Bloomberg the leader in business and financial data and analytics. Our clients need the ability to understand data quickly and the visualization capabilities of the Bloomberg Terminal make that possible.
The Visualization team is responsible for the APIs and infrastructure that allow us to build graphically rich applications for the Bloomberg Terminal and beyond. Our main product is the OVEN library, which is a web visualization framework written in TypeScript that renders visualizations on multiple platforms with the use of Canvas, SVG and WebGL.
We are seeking highly motivated engineers with backgrounds in graphics, data visualization and library API design to help realize the future of our data visualization platform. If you know the ins and out of how pixels are rendered to a computer screen, if you love drawing scatter plots, bar charts, node graphs and other types of visualizations, or if you believe there’s nothing better than a well-designed, well-tested, well-documented software library, then this is the perfect team for you.
As an engineer on the Visualization Team, we’ll trust you to:
- Collaborate with your fellow team members to make decisions about what functionality to include in our libraries
- Take ownership of the software you create from start to finish
- Use S.O.L.I.D. software principles to design and build the features
- Take a user-centric approach to understand how our software is utilized and adjust priorities where necessary
- Utilize your knowledge and skills as a computer scientist to build the most efficient, stable and scalable software possible
You will need:
- Good knowledge of data structures and algorithms related to graphics programming, including spatial partitioning, graph and tree structures, matrices, and linear algebra
- Experience with graphics APIs such as OpenGL/WebGL, HTML5 Canvas, SVG, Windows GDI, Quartz 2D, or similar
- Knowledge of web standards, in particular HTML and CSS
- Experience building software libraries used by other developers - knowledge of what makes a good API.
- Working knowledge of version control systems like Git or SVN
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience
We would also love to see:
- Experience using Data Visualization libraries and APIs like D3, Vega, Plotly, HighCharts, matplotlib, ggplot2, etc.
- 3+ years experience with other computer programming languages such as C/C++ or Python
- Contributions to Open Source projects
- Good documentation skills
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus