Software Architect – Content Acquisition
New York, NY
Posted Nov 2, 2018 - Requisition No. 71729
At Bloomberg, our products are fueled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Global Data, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
Our team is at the forefront of designing the data ingestion systems and tools that power the future growth of Bloomberg as we expand into new content sets beyond the financial markets. Closely aligned with our users and business stakeholders, we build reusable tools and implement technical solutions that support more than 200 content acquisition professionals identify new opportunities for data and on-board new providers in diverse markets. We have a highly iterative, fast-moving, low-fuss culture. With a small team, there's little room for bureaucracy - and we sit next to our customers. If you like coding, getting things done at a fast pace, receiving immediate feedback, and learning how a global data business runs- there’s no better place to be.
You’d be in at the ground floor as the first software architect in a completely new technical operations team. You will be responsible for influencing large-scale implementation and design decisions for modular distributed systems that are constantly available. In addition to day-to-day development, you will be responsible for coaching, mentoring and training the team. As the technical lead, you will set high technical standards as you define development processes and shape our technical culture and future.
As a valued member of our team, we’ll trust you to:
- Work closely with users to build innovative, reusable workflow tools to improve processes related to content acquisition across the department.
- Provide mentorship and training to other team members and encourage best practices via code reviews and design sessions.
- Take the lead on design and architecture decisions on how to build and integrate our tools with the rest of the Bloomberg tech stack.
- Engage with stakeholders to understand business problems and user requirements and effectively communicate on projects throughout the development lifecycle.
Successful applicants will likely possess:
- A BA/BS degree or higher in Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field.
- 3 or more years of Python programming experience in a production environment.
- Passion for training and developing people, and demonstrated expertise doing so.
- Understanding of object-oriented design.
- Understanding of microservices architecture (Kubernetes, Docker).
- Familiarity of distributed technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka.
- Demonstrated aptitude for process reengineering and analytical problem solving.
- Ability to collaborate successfully with multidisciplinary teams to ideate and implement solutions that achieve business objectives.
- UI development experience.
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.