Software Engineer - Data Tools
New York, NY
Posted Jul 20, 2022 - Requisition No. 105665
Bloomberg Media empowers global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform, across every time zone reaching over 80 million unique visitors a month through its digital properties. Our products require top-notch data tools to deliver and continuously improve the content and experiences we offer our users.
Media Data Tools is responsible for the internal data tools that drive A/B testing on Bloomberg.com, providing abstractions for managing the complex concerns of user test bucketing, config deployment, and measurement. The system is used by developers, product managers, and marketers who together run several dozen tests at any given time. The team also owns Bloomberg Media’s dashboarding system where users create and share reports using our data lake. Finally, the team owns a WYSIWYG content tool used to design, deploy, and A/B test the marketing content that appears across Bloomberg.com. By providing thoughtful abstractions and tools for users of diverse technical skill, we unlock the power of the company’s data to impact the business through testing, analysis, and dynamic user experience.
What’s in it for you?
As part of our team, you will be directly responsible for maintaining and expanding a variety of internal tools for a diverse user base including product, analytics, marketing, and other engineering teams. Your work will empower them with the software they need to control the content that appears on Bloomberg.com and improve the business through data-driven decision making.
Additionally, as the owner of applications which serve as the face of Media’s data capabilities, you will play a central role in growing the impact of data within the company. By working closely with your users you will develop a keen sense of their needs and challenges, and we’ll trust you to help set the direction and priorities of the team.
We’ll trust you to
- Grow your domain expertise to find growth opportunities and to expand our team's impact.
- Build applications that meet the performance and stability requirements that come with web-scale traffic.
- Build thoughtful UX abstracting and managing the complexity of numerous datasets.
- Manage and expand DR-compliant software architectures, adhering to strict requirements concerning performance, stability, and availability.
- Engage in technical discussion with all our internal users and stakeholders; including product, analytics, marketing, and both frontend and data engineering teams.
You need to have
- Experience with full-stack web development.
- Experience with Next.js and React.
- Experience with ORM frameworks like Prisma, Sequelize, or ActiveRecord.
- Experience with RDBMS's like MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field.
We’d love to see
- Experience developing single-page web apps.
- Experience designing and implementing internal tools.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with Vue.js.
- Knowledge of A/B testing concepts and technologies.
- High level SQL skills and data analytics experience.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.