Software Engineer/SRE Team Leader - Security Detection and Analytics
New York, NY
Posted Jan 11, 2023 - Requisition No. 113343
Bloomberg is the market leader for financial data and workflows globally, serving hundreds of thousands of financial professionals, a variety of players at banks, hedge funds and other market participants. The Security Detection and Analytics Engineering (SDAE) team is the dedicated security engineering team for Bloomberg's Computer Incident Response team (CIRT) and Cyber Security Operations Center (CSOC). We have a development team that builds software, uses open source technologies, and connects with vendor appliances and APIs. The SRE team is in charge of management, provisioning, capacity, monitoring, and alarming of the infrastructure-as-a-service provided for the CSOC. The team also oversees ingestion of, and analytics on, a wide variety of datasets critical for maintaining the security posture of the company.
The team is part of a wider Platform Security group, which in partnership with Bloomberg’s Security Architecture and Information Security operations teams, designs, develops and deploys security products and solutions internally. The goal of the wider group is to enable application teams to deliver secure products to our clients, supporting our operational security teams in detection and analysis of unusual behaviors, supporting response if necessary, and enabling workplace agility without compromising security.
We are an open source first team, favoring open standards where possible, and building on open source technology where available. Our products are built using a variety of frameworks, programming languages and technology stacks. Many members of our team are active open source contributors, looking to give back to these communities, wherever possible.
We’ll trust you to:
- Be a hands-on technical leader and work side by side with your team, empowering them to constantly improve themselves and their team.
- Be able to prioritize competing projects and drive consensus on solutions which involve multiple collaborators.
- Collaborate and connect with other development and infrastructure teams to align the service level objectives with the needs of the team members.
- Foster a culture of standard methodologies around system reliability and automation through extensive coaching, mentoring, and training.
- Provide application consumers with self-serve tools to effectively use and work with the systems that the team manages.
You'll need to have:
- 5+ years of experience working on highly available, fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- 2+ years of experience leading SREs and/or software developers.
- Experience building and handling CI/CD pipelines for provisioning infrastructure, building and deploying artifacts.
- Solid understanding of Windows, Mac, and Linux internals.
- Proficiency and experience in provisioning and building infrastructure as code using tools like Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, etc.
- Experience with publishing and visualizing metrics using tools such as Grafana.
We'd love to see:
- Expertise in analyzing and fixing large-scale distributed systems.
- A deep understanding of web technologies and stability & reliability engineering (SRE).
- Knowledge of network and application performance analysis using standard UNIX tools.
- An empathetic attitude when building tools and solutions with developers, while also simplifying developer lives.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 200,000 - 300,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus