Sr Software Engineer/SRE - RabbitMQ Systems Infrastructure Team
New York, NY
Posted Aug 18, 2021 - Requisition No. 93368
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through collaboration. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do amazing work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
This SRE team ensures the stability and accessibility of RabbitMQ to Bloomberg's various feature teams. On any given day we're developing a wide range of tools, monitors, frameworks, interfaces, and best-practices. These components comprise a robust suite of automated, self-healing systems which manage the RabbitMQ services that Systems Infrastructure provides to the rest of the firm. We maximize uptime, provision and balance resources, architect and coordinate operational procedures, administer backup and recovery processes, coordinate maintenance windows, manage replication, and oversee workflows.
What's in it for you:
In addition to managing the reliability and stability of the RabbitMQ environment, you'll get to directly collaborate daily with the developers creating applications which use our services, providing API implementation and best practice support. Not only will you have high-level-ownership and "the classic SRE responsibilities" such as: system tuning, performance analysis, management of patch/upgrade installation, and rotating on-call; you'll also have immediate access to application developers that are designing and coding the Bloomberg specific components, APIs, services, and tools that underpin our RabbitMQ environment. This means insight and entry to the lowest levels of how Bloomberg applications interact with each other and the Systems Infrastructure environment for the purposes of both in-depth troubleshooting and enhancing stability, reliability, performance, and feature-sets.
We're open to trying new ideas, processes, and technologies. The right applicant will be imaginative, creative, self-motivated, and highly curious as innovation and initiative are highly valued here. Problem-solving, programming, logical frameworks, and Unix systems should all be second nature. We are looking for someone that will continually strive to improve our environment; regularly asking “why?” and saying: “we can make this better!”
You need to have:
- 3+ years experience with Python
- 5+ years experience with Unix, Unix tools and shell scripting
- Understanding of the fundamentals of RabbitMQ and the AMQP protocol
- A General understanding of TCP/IP networking and the OSI model
- Experience designing and automating repeatable processes in a client/server modeled environment
- Experience supporting a highly available production system
- Ability to build and maintain highly complex, performant, and scalable, mission-critical systems
- Experience building monitors and alarms for system performance, status and stability
- Experience with CI/CD systems and writing robust unit and system tests
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
We'd love to see:
- Experience developing applications with Erlang and/or Elixir
- Experience with Splunk and Grafana
- Experience with GitHub and JIRA
- C/C++ programming skills
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If this sounds like you, apply!