Sr. SWE/SRE - Bloomberg Indices
New York, NY
Posted Jul 2, 2020 - Requisition No. 83718
The Bloomberg Index Services Limited (BISL) SRE team is an integral part of a rapidly growing index business within Bloomberg. We are responsible for the smooth operation of a diverse range of systems serving world leading benchmark and tradable index products. These indices underpin many trillion of dollars of trades and assets under management, and hundreds of clients rely on them daily to inform critical business decisions. The reliability, stability, and scalability of this platform is key to our success - and that’s where our SREs come in! Our SRE team is globally distributed across the US, London, and Asia, and we work together to ensure a consistent and seamless platform for all clients.
This is a great opportunity to come join a team of reliability engineers on the SRE journey. You will have the chance to create a positive mark early and continuously as you work closely with other engineers.
Who are you?
An SRE with an aptitude for analytical and creative problem solving. You can dive into the detail of complex issues quickly, and you’re excited to harness the power of automation to manage the stability, availability, and scale of our incredibly complex technology infrastructure. You’re passionate about SRE, and don’t shy away from a challenge. You’re excited by the opportunity to help drive the SRE culture across our product and company.
We’ll trust you to:
- Use all your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of a diverse set of systems with a diverse technology stack
- Help expand the observability of these systems to improve their reliability
- Quickly grow in your technical knowledge of the technology stack – across all the systems – which lie at the centre of our production environment
- Contribute to the work of the whole team, whether pair programming or peer reviewing or collaborating with the engineering and product operations teams to find the very best solution to their problem
- Be an enthusiastic agile practitioner, helping us to improve and refine our approach to ensure we deliver quality indices in a predictable manner
You’ll need to have:
- Experience programming in Python
- Experience working with any OO language - most of our stack is written in C++ and C#, but we’re open to other backgrounds as well
- Working knowledge of Linux operating system
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills for daily interaction with engineering and operations stakeholders
- Exposure to all phases of the software development lifecycle
- The ability to identify opportunities for automation, and develop and test a solution
We'd love to see:
- Experience programming in an additional programming language (Perl, Shell, Bash, etc.)
- Experience with Chef or other configuration tools such as Puppet or Ansible
- A solid understanding of object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- Experience working on diverse and complex software systems
- Experience building monitoring systems and bringing transparency to running systems
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes
Learn how Bloomberg bets big on our SREs: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/
How we outsmart outages: bit.ly/SRE_BBG
Check out Bloomberg Engineering: www.bloomberg.com/engineering
Read about the unique problems we’re solving: TechAtBloomberg.com
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.