System Reliability Engineer - Real-Time Distribution Platform
New York, NY
Posted May 12, 2022 - Requisition No. 102332
Who we are:
Bloomberg’s data underpins the world’s financial systems, and the Real-Time Distribution Platform (RDP) brings it to hundreds of thousands of Enterprise customers and Bloomberg Terminal users. We’re building the largest data distribution infrastructure in the world which delivers hundreds of billions of data points every day to our clients in real-time. Our clients rely on this information to be successful in their day-to-day trading, analytics, portfolio and risk management, and more. Given the scale, speed, and business critical nature of our product, we’re constantly focused on scalability, reliability and performance.
The System Reliability Engineering (SRE) team in RDP is responsible for the production environment that our infrastructure runs in. This includes everything from dedicated infrastructure and tooling for controlling RDP production software, to capacity management, DR testing, and server builds, to fan-out and network performance. RDP’s infrastructure has a number of challenges which are unique to the consolidated market data business, such as being able to scale to an ever-increasing volume and volatility of the global financial markets alongside being a provider of market data and proprietary data to both internal and external clients. RDP’s infrastructure is deployed on thousands of servers in hundreds of countries around the world, including public clouds such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. With hundreds of billions of data points published and trillions of data points consumed by Terminals, the Desktop API, and Enterprise products such as BPIPE, no number of engineers could run such a system without a significant amount of automation and configuration-less operation. RDP SREs build the production infrastructure which allows us to scale and operate the entire platform with as much visibility and as little toil as possible.
What’s in it for you:
- Join a group of engineers working on the backbone of Bloomberg’s data distribution system, functioning across every real-time product the company has to offer
- Learn what it takes, from an application-level down to a network-level, to distribute real-time data across global networks in milliseconds
- Create infrastructure that spans Bloomberg data centers, node sites, and public cloud environments
- Work on mission-critical infrastructure serving hundreds of thousands of users and serving trillions of data points daily
- Work in a highly autonomous and impact driven environment
The technologies you’ll use:
Tools: Jenkins, Docker
You’ll need to have:
- BA, BS, MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- 3+ years of professional experience as an SRE, Software Engineer, or in DevOps
- Experience working in Linux
- A desire to work with high performance, high availability distributed systems
- Curiosity and the ability to dig into systemic software problems
- A collaborative and enthusiastic attitude
We’d love to see:
- Familiarity with high performance, high availability distributed systems
- Experience working with market data, with a focus on latency sensitive applications and data correctness issues
- Experience building infrastructure and tooling used by other Engineering teams
- Knowledge of networking and inner workings of TCP
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.