System Reliability Engineer - Storage Engineering
New York, NY
Posted Jan 23, 2023 - Requisition No. 113200
Data is at the heart of Bloomberg’s technologies, which produce, distribute and protect some of the most critical and valuable data in global business. The Storage Engineering teams design and maintain the systems which store, process and protect that data.
This is not a traditional storage team: we design and build a highly available, scalable, and durable storage Platform. Our Platform is a unique mix of commodity hardware, open source software-defined storage, and appliance-based storage solutions. In addition to shepherding our core storage systems, our team is modernizing our automation software for provisioning and management of both appliance-based storage and software defined storage inside of the Bloomberg ecosystem. The Storage Engineering team works closely with the industry and our engineering users to stay at the forefront of both evolving hardware technologies, open source storage Platforms and engineering practices.
We’re looking for Site Reliability Engineers with great problem solving, customer management and communication skills. Domain knowledge in storage is a plus but absolutely not required, we’ll teach you everything you need to know about storing bits’n’bytes.
What’s in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity to help support robust, petabyte-scale systems which will power the future of Bloomberg's automated storage infrastructure. We’ll trust you to diagnose and debug complicated full stack software and hardware problems, write automation and tests, as well as perform advanced system administration and deployment tasks on many systems and Platforms all while managing interactions with the thousands of applications engineers worldwide who rely on the availability of our storage systems.
You’ll be exposed to some, or all, of the following technologies, SAN, NFS, S3, Ceph, NVMe Over Fabrics, Apache Airflow, HAProxy, Flask, React, Kubernetes, Openstack and many more.
We'll trust you to:
- Work side by side with your Storage Engineering colleagues to help reproduce, diagnose and triage issues across all storage products and technologies
- Notice trends in failures, bugs, deployment issues etc and propose solutions and implement them to harden our infrastructure
- Participate in architecture reviews with application teams across Bloomberg Engineering as they modernize their tech stack to take advantage of our cloud native technologies
- Manage complex interactions with our colleagues in the data centers and application engineers alike
You need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Hands-on software system administrative experience
- Demonstrated software development and scripting experience
- A drive to debug and solve complex infrastructure issues
- Experience working with scalable distributed systems including deep dives into storage, networking and operating systems
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
We'd love to see:
Our Open Source Commitment:
Bloomberg sits at the intersection of high availability, low latency, and large-scale computing. We have a decade-long track record of using open source software to build data infrastructure and applications that address the unique constraints of the finance industry. We also support a broad open source ecosystem to empower others to solve similar real-world problems. From technical governance to upstream collaboration, we are committed to enhancing the impact and sustainability of open source.
In this role, you’ll be encouraged to interact with global open source project teams and communities. If you have a desire to use, develop, and lead open source software projects, we encourage you to apply. To learn more about our activities in the open source community, head over to our Tech at Bloomberg site.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus