Tax Compliance Specialist
New York, NY
Posted May 24, 2022 - Requisition No. 103905
Bloomberg delivers critical information in a world where information matters. We give influential decision-makers in business, finance and government a competitive edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of news, people and ideas. To do that, we need a constant flow of ideas, energy, innovation, which is where you come in. At Bloomberg, you will have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. Be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news and media services fosters innovation and empowers clients - and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
There are many responsibilities involved in running a business successfully, but maintaining strong control over accounts payable and tax compliance is among the most crucial. We are the team to ensure that company's payables are legitimate and accurate, and we provide a professional customer service to internal and external stakeholders, as well as consistently maintain controls. In this role you will be working on tax compliance over Procure to Pay operations in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
You will be responsible for Tax Compliance with the IRS regulations focused on 1042 and 1099 related processes, running recurring and ad-hoc tasks, controls and projects assigned to you and to provide a positive experience for those you work with. In order to be successful, you will need strong attention to detail, hands on and be an excellent problem solver. You have the ability to balance high workload while meeting deadlines yet understand the importance of controls. You have excellent communication and prioritization skills, an ability to present ideas about process improvements and to question status quo. You thrive in a dynamic, open-plan, team environment, and you know what customer service really means. You will be based in New York City, reporting to Tax Compliance Team Leader.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop of process flows, policies and procedures, controls, work plans for collection and recording data, working with Procurement, Legal, Business Stakeholders, Accounts Payable and External Advisors.
- Interact with external Tax Advisors on complex cases
- Partner with vendor master team and SAP support team on setup and maintenance of tax codes in the system
- Coordinate, prepare and file both 1042 and 1099 reports (anticipate January-March is a high season for taxes)
- Coordinate mailing of the1042S and 1099 forms to vendors, be hands on if necessary
- Serve as advisor to the customer services team addressing vendor inquiries, ensuring applicability of withholding tax regulations for both 1042 and 1099 reporting
- Create and maintain yearly 1042 Tax Deposit Calendar
- Perform yearly review of US Source of Income rates for Royalties and Service vendors
- Periodical review of vendor payment activity, confirming accuracy of US Source of Income, withholding rates and validity of collected forms as preparation for the yearly report to the IRS.
- Partner with Accounts Payable to process any adjustment for either reporting or withholding discrepancies if any
- Constant review of current processes to ensure compliance and finding opportunities for automation
- Support internal business areas representatives, leaders and CFO teams to understand foreign vendor withholding requirements, clarifying questions and host phone calls with vendors if necessary
- Review and validate forms collected from foreign vendors, including W8 and W9 forms, to ensure adherence the IRS regulations for both existing and new vendors
- Back up the Tax Compliance Representative, ensuring the end-to-end process is covered by this Team Compliance team
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting preferred
- 4+ years of relevant experience with 1099/1042 tax reporting
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with various levels of management
- Ability to function with large units of data
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of SAP
- Knowledge of Agile Scrum framework
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.