Team Lead - Enterprise Metering
New York, NY
Posted Jun 6, 2022 - Requisition No. 104193
Are you a team lead interested in large scale, high throughput data processing systems?
Do you crave responsibility for critical operational components in Bloomberg’s rapidly growing Enterprise products?
We are the Enterprise Metering group, and we are looking for a capable team lead who knows how to build scalable systems with focus on stability, operational independence and maintainability. We support Bloomberg Enterprise Data products - such as Data License and B-Pipe - which deliver hundreds of billions of data points every day to our customers. Our group is responsible for capturing the who, what, when, where and how of our clients’ immense data consumption. Our engineers build systems that support high volume data ingestion, large scale data storage, and distributed data processing. Our systems power critical operational use cases like client invoicing and feed business intelligence systems.
We are looking for a Team Lead in our 120 Park office to help us build and enhance the single secure, performant, and easy-to-use metering system for Bloomberg’s Enterprise products!
Some important challenges we face and trends we observe are:
- Ever-expanding programmatic consumption of data on the part of our clients. Enterprise Data products continue to be among the firm’s fastest growing products.
- The number of distinct distribution mechanisms for any particular type of data is growing quickly. For example, Data License reference data is now available as part of Enterprise Access Point (https://www.bloomberg.com/professional/product/enterprise-access-point/), Bloomberg Platform (https://www.bloomberg.com/professional/product/platform-data-distribution/), Data Management Services (https://www.bloomberg.com/professional/product/bloomberg-data-management-services/), Multi-Asset Risk APIs (https://www.bloomberg.com/professional/product/multi-asset-risk-system-mars-api/), and more.
- As the breadth and depth of data offered over Enterprise Data products grows, the commercial models our product owners develop to monetize this data become ever more complex.
- Beyond Enterprise Data, we see a growing list of products across the firm that require usage-based billing and analytics.
As a result, we have the following engineering objectives:
- Design systems that can easily scale to handle rapid growth.
- Design APIs that are easy to adopt for engineering groups across the company.
- Make it fast and simple to add/modify the business rules that transform raw usage into billing data
- Build mechanisms to quickly find and notify business of unexpected changes in usage so we can find potential problems before invoices are sent out to customers
- Build every feature with operational independence and observability in mind.
Technologies that we leverage include Java, Python, Greenplum, Apache Hadoop ecosystem (MapReduce, Spark, Phoenix, HBase), Kafka, and Airflow.
We’ll trust you to:
- Lead a team of software engineers and help them achieve their career goals
- Contribute technically on the team including system design, architectural and code reviews and being hands-on based on the team's needs
- Collaborate closely with product management partners to identify and deliver on key strategic initiatives for the group
- Develop strong relationships with multiple stakeholders across the organization and increase the impact of team's work
- Hire and develop engineers through active coaching and mentorship
- Overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects
We’d love to see:
- Experience in leadership and ready to manage a team with 5+ members
- Hands-on experience in building distributed systems
- Experience with/understanding of the Apache Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience in hiring and growing teams
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.