Team Lead - RDP The Bloomberg API
New York, NY
Posted Mar 4, 2022 - Requisition No. 101158
Who we are:
Bloomberg’s data underpins the world’s financial systems, and the Real-Time Distribution Platform (RDP) brings it to hundreds of thousands of Enterprise customers and Bloomberg Terminal users. We’re building the largest data distribution infrastructure in the world which delivers hundreds of billions of data points every day to our clients in real-time. Our clients rely on this information to be successful in their day-to-day trading, analytics, portfolio and risk management, and more. Given the scale, speed, and business critical nature of our product, we’re constantly focused on scalability, reliability and performance.
The Bloomberg API team (BLPAPI) is looking for its NY Team Lead! Our diverse team provides software development kits (SDKs) to both Bloomberg engineers and external client developers that provide a service framework through which they access Bloomberg data and services. We define the interfaces that the world uses to consume and publish data to our Real-time Distribution Platform. Our SDKs are written in four different languages, including C++, Java, C#, and Python. Every individual in our team works on all of these languages while solving problems of performance, interoperability, and an ever-growing feature set.
As we provide software as a service, we are in the Software Infrastructure Engineering department, and we also work closely with the Enterprise Data product team, so we have an external feedback loop from our clients while also working with internal clients within Bloomberg. We pride ourselves on testing every new piece of functionality we add, so you also will be working closely with a contractor team that helps us do service level testing, on top of the QA team within Bloomberg.
If you want to peek into our world, BLPAPI is accessible on our company website at: https://www.bloomberg.com/professional/support/api-library/
What’s in it for you:
- Collaborate closely with our Engineering and Product teams to build a service framework used by our Desktop API and Enterprise clients to access real-time data across the world
- Learn what it takes, from an application-level down to a network-level, to distribute real-time data across global networks in milliseconds
- Be hands-on, guiding the talented team of individuals to make the right technical decisions for our technical stack and the clients
- Have a can-do attitude as an infrastructure team lead as we work on features for many Engineer teams
- Create and foster an inclusive work culture
- Mentor and be actively involved in all aspects of professional development, performance management and training initiatives
- Work in a highly autonomous and impact driven environment
You’ll need to have:
- Demonstrated experience as an engineering people manager, leading technical teams. This includes team building and recruitment, mentorship and coaching, and performance reviews and individual development.
- Understanding one of C++, C#, or Java, and the ability to make decisions for other languages you may not have expertise in, leveraging the language experts in the team.
- Ability to foster a collaborative environment, develop a strong culture of teamwork and to leverage opportunities and creativity from a diverse team
- Ability to be an empathetic, flexible leader who cares deeply about their team members’ careers and goals
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field.
We’d love to see:
- Experience working with a global team and stakeholders in various locations.
- Experience building applications with BLPAPI
- Fluency in more than one of the languages we support
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status