Technical Lead Engineer - Economics
New York, NY
Posted May 17, 2022 - Requisition No. 96034
Blomberg is searching for an innovative Tech Lead to join the Economics Engineering group. Our platform provides functionality for our users to monitor market-moving, real-time economic releases all over the world. Our users rely on our analytics to understand and predict the long-term economic consequences of government policies around the world. You will be responsible for building a highly scalable, federated infrastructure leveraging the different libraries and application servers owned by the Economics group and helping model datasets containing millions of time series across hundreds of economic concepts, countries, sources, etc.
As a Tech Lead, you will collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering, UX, etc. to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment. You will be empowered and expected to advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance while recognizing impediments to our efficiency as a team, and helping propose and implement solutions. You will have the ability to craft code that adheres to high standards for style, maintainability, and SDLC best practices including CI/CD.
Who we are
What are the implications of changes in energy prices?
What are unemployment numbers so important during a pandemic?
What do the different factors driving inflation tell us about the state of the economy?
If these kinds of questions pique your interest, the Economics Engineering group in Bloomberg Engineering might be the place for you? Our teams are responsible for the ingestion, curation, enrichment, persistence, distribution, analysis and visualization of a wide variety of economics data. Consumer Prices, Government Spending, Jobless Claims, Housing Market, are all within our realm. Our software systems include data administration tools and pipelines, pricing engines, and economic impact analysis tools. As a tech lead you’ll be a key decision maker on how our teams organize our reusable software libraries, microservices, and databases into a cohesive ecosystem of federated services.
The Tech Stack(s)
Like many Bloomberg groups, we rely heavily on a number of technologies that have been developed in-house. However, we also use lots of commercial and open-source software where applicable (with our preference being for open-source, if available).
Technologies in our stack include:
- OpenStack Cloud Computing
- Micro Service Based Architecture
- Postgres, Cassandra, Solr, and Hadoop for our data stores
- Kafka and RabbitMQ for low-latency, high-bandwidth messaging
- Redis and memcached for large-scale distributed caching
- You’ll learn how some of the financial world’s most sophisticated professionals do their job and what role Bloomberg plays in it.
- You’ll establish relationships across Bloomberg by working closely with and learning from the specialists in out product development, global data and client support departments
- As an added bonus, you’ll gain deep market knowledge in one (or more!) financial domains.
- Excellent technical, diagnostic, and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong leadership and organizational abilities.
- Willingness to build professional relationships with staff and clients.
- Excellent communication, motivational, and interpersonal skills.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience.
Potential technologies in our tech modernization roadmap include but not limited to:
What’s in it for you:
You’ll Need to Have:
We’d Love to see:
- Financial domain knowledge and experience
- Experience working in a UNIX or Linux development environment
- Familiarity with developer productivity tools such as Jenkins, Splunk, etc.
- Project Leadership experience
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.