Technical Product Manager - LLM Platform - CTO Office
New York, NY
Posted Mar 31, 2023 - Requisition No. 115249
Who we are / The Team:
Bloomberg’s CTO Office is the future-looking technical and product arm of Bloomberg L.P. We envision, design, and prototype the next generation infrastructure, hardware, and applications for the Bloomberg Terminal. Our projects include machine learning-powered products, cloud computing infrastructure and strategy, open source stewardship, natural language processing, and more. We are passionate about what we do.
What We Do:
For more than a decade, Bloomberg has been a trailblazer in its application of AI, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing (NLP) in finance. We build models and systems that power sentiment analysis, classification, question answering, document understanding, recommendation, and more. Critical to this effort are our machine learning platforms, used by machine learning engineers and researchers for their model development lifecycle.
The advent of large language models (LLMs) presents new opportunities for expanding our NLP capabilities. BloombergGPT — our recently-released large language model pretrained for the financial domain — is purpose built for financial text, and it puts us at the forefront of building the next generation of NLP tools for our clients.
What’s in it for you / Your Role:
We are expanding our infrastructure to support the high performance computing needs of LLM-driven applications. As a Technical Product Manager focused on infrastructure for LLMs, you will have ownership over our technical strategy for large model training and serving. You will partner with experts in CTO and Engineering to improve our hardware & model performance, and help shape our hybrid cloud model for ML infrastructure at large. This is a high-leverage role in a cross-functional environment, so you’ll need to be comfortable wearing many hats and balancing technical expertise with business acumen.
We’ll trust you to:
- Partner closely with AI product teams to accelerate their critical machine learning projects, with a focus on LLM enablement
- Interact with our machine learning experts, interview them to understand their workflows and technical requirements, develop a deep understanding of their model performance and computing needs
- Work with & support our talented Engineering (solution delivery) teams, foster a culture of collaboration with your Engineering counterparts
- Prioritize, plan, make decisions, ask the right questions, and understand how to manage resources effectively
- Develop a long-term technical strategy for supporting large models
- Do the right thing; be part of a Product team and CTO organization that optimizes for the long term
You’ll need to have:
- 5 + years of experience in a Product Management role
- Applied experience with HPC workloads, spanning networking, computing, and storage
- Applied experience with toolkits in the AI/ML inference space, such as CUDA, ONNX, Triton, and serving infrastructure such as KServe
- Experience with distributed training backend technology such as NCCL, MPI
- Experience with public cloud providers such as AWS, GCP, or Azure, and cloud-based deep-learning platforms
- Organizational and communication skills to effectively coordinate and work with engineers, other product managers, and senior management
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
We’d love to see:
- Experience contributing to research communities, e.g. publishing papers in machine learning, NLP, or supercomputing conferences
- Experience with capacity planning and resource management
- Experience with hardware vendor management
- A product-driven focus and track record of shaping business strategy and roadmaps for technical products
- Prior experience as a technical product manager or engineering technical lead
- Open source involvement or community presence
Learn more about us:
We are very active in technical communities, both internally and externally. Read more about us
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 140,000 - 295,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus