Technical Product Manager: UI & Visualization Toolkits – CTO Office
New York, NY
Posted Aug 1, 2023 - Requisition No. 117958
Who we are:
Bloomberg's CTO Office is the forward-looking technical arm of Bloomberg L.P. We envision, design and prototype the next generation of infrastructure, hardware and applications that interface with all aspects of the company.
As a Technical Product Manager, you will be responsible for setting the direction and executing the product strategy for Bloomberg’s Application Toolkit (BBKit) and Visualization groups. You will partner with the Engineering and UX teams to provide high-performance, desktop-grade UI toolkits, frameworks, languages, and runtimes used for building and running all Bloomberg Terminal apps. Along with multiple Engineering teams, you will own the developer-facing APIs, widget libraries, markup languages, UI and charting frameworks, and a highly-customized Chromium rendering engine. This technical stack is used by all Bloomberg Terminal engineers to create complex, real-time financial products which are relied on by thousands of the most influential financial decision makers around the world!
This role must understand the business needs of our application teams and partner with our UX department to ensure those business needs are implemented as UI toolkit features that meet our strict consistency, accessibility, and performance standards. You will evangelize and drive adoption of new toolkit features as we continuously improve our platforms. Your approach will emphasize building consensus and fostering collaboration, promoting a culture of shared ownership rather than relying solely on authority. Our role in the broader Engineering and CTO organization is to provide a stable UI and charting platform and tooling that allows code written today to run for decades to come, no matter what the latest obsession in the front-end industry is. This is a high-leverage role in a very cross-functional environment so you’ll need to be comfortable wearing many hats and balancing technical expertise with business acumen.
We’ll Trust You To:
- Proactively engage with product teams building applications and visualizations for the Terminal, understanding their requirements
- Engage with the Bloomberg developer community to understand common pain points and desired enhancements
- Work with our engineering infrastructure leadership to understand technical modernization imperatives as well as desired SLAs
- Shape the strategic vision for the Terminal’s developer platform by synthesizing all these inputs
- Build relationships with key stakeholders, providing transparency of roadmaps and prioritization decisions
- Advocate for and project manage wide-spread adoption of technical best-practices and standards across the application ecosystem; measure adoption and impact
- Own processes for intake and prioritization of new feature requests, both internal and external
- Balance competing needs – feature requests, client facing issues, and internal technical work / migrations – against each other to prioritize the backlog
- Work with a talented engineering and UX team to scope work, solve problems, and manage adoption and deprecation of UI frameworks
- Review and prioritize development of and/or updates to technical documentation and training materials
You’ll Need to Have:
- 5+ years of Technical Product Owner or similar experience, preferably with UI platforms, toolkits, and developer-facing infrastructure APIs
- A proven track record of collaboratively creating product visions and roadmaps, evaluating technical trade-offs, prioritizing at macro and micro levels, and managing releases
- Strong written and verbal communication and consensus-building skills
- The ability to work across teams to break down complex business problems into achievable milestones
- Experience working with a variety of cross-functional stakeholders, including UX, product, and engineering
We’d love to see:
- Awareness of the different application frameworks in the market and common issues that need to be addressed when managing them
- Experience with consistent API design, development of technical documentation, and common debugging/troubleshooting tools and workflows.
- Familiarity with information visualization principles
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 140,000 - 295,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus