Technical Writer- Product Documentation
New York, NY
Posted Jan 13, 2023 - Requisition No. 113403
Accurate, creative—and fast. We help clients get the most from Bloomberg’s suite of tools and products. Through detailed user guides, contextual content, and just-in-time release notifications, we educate, inform, and guide clients to the tools and enhancements that can help them do their jobs!
Bloomberg’s Product Documentation team is a centralized team of technical writers, crafting user assistance materials that span business areas across the financial markets. We partner with Product, Technology, and UX teams to investigate requirements in an upbeat environment, characterized by frequent product updates and quick time-to-market. Our writers have the skills to solicit business needs, jump quickly from discovery to draft, and shift seamlessly between deliverables and writing styles.
We take pride in being a collaborative team of 20+ writers that values peer-to-peer editing, an iterative writing process, and cooperative idea generation. We work with style guides to create useful materials with a unified voice. Though we move quickly and strive to perfect the art of balancing exciting priorities, we put a premium on quality—both of writing and ideas.
Our writers create a broad range of client-facing user assistance content for the Bloomberg Professional Service and related products. Sitting within Bloomberg’s UX Design department, we focus on user-centered documentation and play a key role in supporting consistency across the system. We also partner with an Engineering Agile Scrum team to build our own end-to-end documentation products, from CMS and authoring tools to client-facing UI.
We'll trust you to:
- Research, write, and produce client-facing documentation including user guides, slideshow-style feature tours, contextual help prompts, FAQs, and release notifications.
- Take ownership of the writing needs for one or more product areas, building relationships with interdisciplinary colleagues across the company to provide cohesive user assistance solutions.
- Adhere to team style guides for a suite of standard documentation deliverables, but innovate within style principles to create tailored documentation materials.
- Shift seamlessly between writing precise instructional documentation and more conversational, benefit-focused promotional announcements.
- Manage a high volume of projects to keep pace with shifting release schedules and business priorities.
- Gain quick domain knowledge of the market sectors and the workflow of financial professionals.
- Generate creative ideas to evolve our styles, processes, and tools.
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of technical writing experience or related field.
- Excellent creative writing skills for an end-user client audience, with flexibility to shift between procedural and conversational writing styles.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze custom financial tools and analytics and explain them with accurate, user-friendly documentation, structured to forefront need-to-know information.
- Strong project management skills, including experience in managing and organizing multiple projects with variable timelines.
- A proven track record of success interacting with all levels of staff and management, including business specialists, product managers, engineers, and senior management.
We'd love to see:
- Editing experience.
- Demonstrated initiative in innovating and implementing workflow, process, and technical solutions.
- Knowledge of the financial markets.
- Interest in strong visual display of information and image production as part of effective content design.
- Experience with DITA, HTML, or online authoring tools.
Apply if you think we're a good match. We would like to see writing samples for this position, so please submit 2-3 samples of end-user documentation or training materials from a recent role or project.
We'll get in touch to let you know about next steps, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 110,000 - 130,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus