Video Game Reporter
New York, NY
Posted Mar 24, 2020 - Requisition No. 82091
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest and most influential news organizations in the world. Our Global Technology team leads the way in breaking news about the companies that are changing the world and the people who run them. We're seeking a clever, diligent and experienced reporter to join our award-winning team of journalists to cover the video game business and the ways big tech companies are looking to transform the industry.
Who we're looking for:
You’re a sharp reporter with a critical eye and a broad understanding of the motivations that drive gaming and tech companies. You have a nose for news and know how to do investigative reporting, weave a narrative and write on deadline. You are able to quickly source up with executives, game developers, streamers and other influential figures in the business, while also using data to tell a story. You can recognize the business, product and cultural trends that will most impact the medium. You're versatile and capable of straying outside the beat to cover stories of import in the world of startups and Silicon Valley. You’re able to work across platforms, including the web, Bloomberg terminal, Businessweek magazine, TV, radio and podcasts. You are able to react quickly and write clearly and crisply on the most pressing news of the day, whether it’s the introduction of a new product or a crackdown on game content by a foreign government.
We'll trust you to:
- Cover breaking news with accuracy and speed
- Write feature-length stories about the most important subjects on your beat, which might include the development of a blockbuster game or new console, a significant cultural movement in the gaming community or a developer that found itself engulfed in a geopolitical controversy
- Lean on existing sources and develop new ones to generate intelligent, impactful news on the traditional game companies, as well as newer entrants like Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on the Global Technology team, as well as with those on the Entertainment team and others across the newsroom and around the world
- Report on the broader tech and startups beat as news dictates
- Be committed to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and a willingness to learn
You'll need to have:
- Minimum of three years of business and financial journalism experience
- A solid track record of breaking news and a portfolio of long-form investigative features
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- The ability to write quickly and concisely under deadline pressure
- Interest in the video game business and culture
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
If this sounds like you, apply today! We're looking forward to speaking with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.