Data Center Operations Engineer
Posted Jun 14, 2023 - Requisition No. 117037
Our data centers serve the dynamic, market driven workload of our global customers via many thousands of servers, network devices and connections. You will add compute capacity to match customer demand, oversee all facets of equipment installation and cable planning. You will be responsible for the quality of the data center service at all times. You will monitor, assess, respond and escalate issues in order to maintain infrastructure reliability and resilience. You will follow, create and improve maintenance and troubleshooting processes. You will drive data center stability through awareness, focus and collaboration. This role is a rich opportunity to support data center stability while building broad operational skills. Awareness, focus and collaboration are needed in this role along with a desire for continuous learning and diligence.
- Third shift (night), along with weekend hours
We'll trust you to:
- Learn and understand the data center site in order to manage events that put our critical systems at risk
- Organize people, communication and knowledge to support problem follow-up and data center activity
- Perform activity impact and risk assessment along with service notification at the appropriate level of awareness
- Maintain accuracy of documentation and recorded details of physical assets and connections
- Detect, investigate, and drive operating system issues affecting production equipment availability
- Perform hardware level activity including investigation, maintenance and repair of server, network components and data cabling
- Develop familiarity with the critical systems at each data center in order to provide a high level response and escalation
You'll need to have:
- 2+ years of experience in a Linux/Unix environment as a system/network administrator or engineer with Linux/unix knowledge sufficient to identify and interrogate system hardware, review system logs, report on file systems, and manipulate files
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Ability to prioritize work including active data center service and projects in flight and ability to communicate timely and concise information to various teams throughout Engineering at the appropriate level of detail
- Knowledge of Layer2 and 3 network concepts
- Desire to learn and take ownership of personal development and a passion for educating others and improving our team capabilities
- The ability to perform physical activities including walking, lifting, and climbing a ladder
We’d love to see:
- Desire to lead people, projects and problem investigation
- Eagerness to remediate issues in the physical space including airflow, power alarms, equipment serviceability, and cabling
- Hands-on experience replacing server and network hardware
- Familiarity with reporting tools including Grafana and Splunk
- Awareness and some exposure to programming or scripting
- Networking experience with sound knowledge of Cisco IOS and JunOS
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 90,000 - 160,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus