Breaking News Editor (French speaker), Paris
Posted Sep 8, 2021 - Requisition No. 95146
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in Paris, the heart of the eurozone's second-largest economy. We are one of the world's biggest financial news organizations, leading the way in covering mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other market-relevant events, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead of the markets.
As a Breaking News editor, you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story out of France. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including regulatory wires, company websites and social media; use strong news judgement to decide what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly as possible, as clearly as possible, for our real-time clients. You'll take the lead on France's red-hot M&A and secondaries markets, when a minister reveals the latest economic figures in a radio appearance, when the government pushes back on an overseas buyout, or when the latest results from France's bellwether blue-chips move global markets. You'll develop an in-depth understanding of equity capital markets, and expand your network in a vibrant finance and business hub.
Breaking News editors thrive in a high-pressure environment, aren't afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we're adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in Western Europe.
We'll trust you to:
- Make smart, fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors in France and across the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- Fluency in French
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience in financial journalism
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
We’d also love to see:
- Fluency in a third language
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
If this sounds like you:
Apply! We’ll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.