Data Analyst – Web Document Acquisition
Posted Jun 26, 2019 - Requisition No. 75787
Bloomberg runs on data, and in the Global Data organization, we are responsible for acquiring it and providing it to our clients. We collect, analyze process and publish the data, which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal - the facts and figures which ultimately move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies, and we implement technology solutions to enhance our systems, products, and processes - and all this while delivering advanced insights to our clients.
What's the Role?
Bloomberg is looking for a highly motivated and driven individual to join a team that will work with our stakeholders to identify areas of opportunity and acquire content from the web. You will configure our industry-leading, proprietary web-scraping system to acquire important, market-moving documents from websites as quickly as possible. You will identify opportunities for efficiency in our processes and collaborate with the management team to implement enhancements to the product.
Our technologies create an efficient infrastructure for News and Global Data. Part of our team is comprised of individuals who are responsible for gathering data using our in-house web-crawling and extraction technologies. You will use your technical problem-solving skills and knowledge of web technologies to successfully acquire documents from websites, which will sometimes require custom Python scripting. Analysts in this role also collaborate with Global Data and News stakeholders to identify new opportunities for acquisition and the most efficient manner to obtain them. Each of these components plays an integral role in delivering value-added information to our clients.
We’ll trust you to:
- Apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative work-flow efficiencies and use cutting-edge technology solutions to enhance our processes and software
- Assist in monitoring and communicating progress throughout each project's development life-cycle
- Develop systems and methods for acquiring content from external sources to support the Global Data and News businesses
- Liaise with stakeholders to gather requirements, scope projects, and develop project plans
- Apply problem-solving skills to find the best way to acquire documents of different formats from different website architectures
- Collaborate with data analysts and news staff to devise creative solutions to technical issues
You need to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher academic achievement
- Experience scripting in programming languages like Python
- Ability to forge relationships with other teams at the managerial and analyst levels
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Motivated problem/puzzle-solver, interested in using different technologies to meet product needs
- Troubleshooting technical issues relating to the automated systems we employ
- Strong communication skills for collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Able to leverage new and existing technologies for advancing future products and infrastructure
- Project management and organizational skills
- Previous Web-Crawling experience a plus
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now or in the future
If this sounds like you:
Apply! If we think you are a good match, we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.