Posted Sep 14, 2020 - Requisition No. 85039
At Bloomberg, our products are fueled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Global Data, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
Enterprising – and not defined by conventional roles. Our goal is to innovate, redefine, and break boundaries in expanding our modern data business. In Global Data’s Technical Operations, our focus is on data engineering and how data is acquired, processed, validated and stored. We’re constantly innovating to create better, more efficient systems to handle the huge variety of data we acquire and deliver to our clients.
We're looking for a Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team in Princeton. You’ll be joining a small dynamic team responsible for using and developing cutting-edge technologies to enhance our acquisition, data processing workflows and automation methods. You will design and develop systems that improve internal processes and produce unique client-facing content. You’ll work closely with data analysts, data scientists and infrastructure engineers to solve ambiguous and multi-faceted problems and lead the development of robust data systems from scoping to production.
Your projects will involve designing and implementing ETL systems, deploying machine learning and NLP algorithms, and calibrating automated quality control processes. You'll be expected to be able to work independently and to manage your own priorities, while also collaborating with other team members and colleagues across various businesses. We're looking for someone who embraces the challenge of understanding the business problems that your code is solving, so you don't just develop: you have a vision, you design, you simplify, you visualize, and you effectively communicate the business impact of your work.
As a valued member of our team, we’ll trust you to:
- Design, develop, and deploy data processing pipelines written in Python to power Bloomberg’s product offerings
- Identify opportunities and build flexible automated solutions for data acquisition, ETL and ML pipelines, and human-in-the-loop data processing
- Promote the use of software development best practices and DevOps by participating in technical discussions, knowledge sharing sessions, and engaging with the open source software community
- Gather requirements (and of course, refine and clarify ambiguous requirements)
- Communicate consistently with project stakeholders throughout development lifecycle
- Collaborate with data analysts, data scientists and infrastructure engineers to develop creative solutions
- Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot issues for the production systems you are responsible for
- Analyze and present results through dashboards, web apps and static documentation
Successful applicants will likely possess:
- A BA/BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field, and up to 5 years of professional work experience in software development, data engineering, data science or information technology
- A self-starter attitude, creative problem solving skills, and experience with diverse data processes and systems
- Familiarity with git, unix, python ecosystem, web services, and API usage
- Experience with SQL & NoSQL database systems as well as distributed big data technologies including Hadoop and Spark
- Experience with data science and data visualization technologies for detecting anomalies, measuring and reporting on Machine Learning systems, and telemetry systems like Splunk
- Full spectrum of project management skills: ideation, prioritization, communication, delivery
- Excellent communication skills, especially when explaining technical processes and solutions to business stakeholders and management
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.