Sr. Data Engineer, Global Data
Posted May 8, 2019 - Requisition No. 74662
What we do:
Bloomberg’s primary product is our data. Our Global Data department sits at the heart of our enterprise and combines technology with deep product expertise to bring unequaled value to the world’s information. We bring structure to the data we collect by building robust systems with innovative technology that allow us to offer unique data products that drive our client’s biggest financial decisions.
Our Data Engineers are at the forefront of this process; we create cutting-edge systems to manage the relentless flow of information and support hundreds of data analysts, data scientists and product experts around the world in bringing transparency and meaning to the data that makes Bloomberg the world’s premier provider of information.
This is not your typical Data Engineering position.
Our department is a dynamic, creative team with a focus on up-ending the status quo and leveraging our technology and resources in new ways. You’ll feel more like you’re in a well-funded startup than in a global enterprise with over 170 locations, and we’ll expect a positive, proactive attitude to match.
Who you are:
You thrive in environments where the data is unstructured and have worked with sources where it’s a challenge to separate the truth from the noise. You think in microservices and containerized, distributed systems and probably have experience designing pipelines that weave data between automation, ML and human expertise. As a leader, you advocate for best practices in devops CI/CD, code review quality, and take a collaborative approach in sharing your innovations to elevate the entire team. You have experience designing extensible data models and bringing them to physical reality with SQL and distributed NoSQL systems like Postgres, Hadoop, HBase, SOLR and elasticsearch. You don’t just follow instructions: you embrace opportunities to lead projects, and you effectively communicate the vision and business impact of your work.
What you’ll work on:
You’ll be part of a team building data-driven systems supporting our internal businesses across Data Analytics, News, Research & Enterprise Data. Typical problems you’ll solve include:
- Build & deploy large-scale ETL and stream processing pipelines in our serverless microservice infrastructure built on top of industry standard technology like Kubernetes & Kafka.
- Implement robust monitoring & telemetry for processes and services you are responsible for - leveraging splunk, humio, grafana, visualization tools and custom web-apps.
- Promote the use of CI & CD best practices using tools like Docker, Jenkin & tox, and lead the way in embracing development workflow automation.
- Lead architecture and design decisions on how to integrate our systems with the broader Bloomberg tech stack and recommend platform and infrastructure choices to expand our capabilities.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to understand business requirements, quantify key results and communicate effectively throughout the development process; we do data engineering as a service.
What you need to have (give or take a few):
- A BA/BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field, and 2-5 years of professional work experience in software development, data engineering, data science or a related field.
- Experience with SQL & NoSQL database systems, S3 & distributed big data technologies including Hadoop and Spark. Knowledge /awareness of orchestration systems like Airflow, NiFi, Pentaho a plus but not required.
- Standard dev skills: Linux, virtualized/cloud environment, git, scripting, automated testing.
- Desire to solve interesting problems, an awesome attitude and a collaborative working style.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially when explaining technical solutions to stakeholders and management. Experience with data visualization and presentation tools; you can tell a compelling story about the data you work with.
Does this sound like you? Does this almost sound like you?
Hit apply and we’ll be in touch!
People you’ll work with:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.