Data Modeler - Company Data
Posted Feb 16, 2023 - Requisition No. 114176
Bloomberg runs on data, and the Bloomberg Data team is responsible for supplying it. We collect, analyze, process, and publish the data that is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal- the facts and figures which ultimately move the financial markets.
Company Financials Data team is responsible for designing and building company analysis tools for the Bloomberg Terminal, API and Enterprise. This includes marquee applications on Bloomberg such as: Financial Analysis (FA) Analyst Recommendations (ANR) Estimates (EEO) and Models (MODL), and all company financials data which feeds downstream into other applications. We partner closely with teams across Bloomberg including Product, Engineering, Sales and News areas to build derived data products to support the numerous use cases that our clients heavily rely on to drive their workflows.
Bloomberg’s Company Financials product continues to grow in volume and complexity of data, such as segments and integrating consensus estimates, coupled with widely diverse reporting methodologies across global markets. In this Data Modeler role, you will be encouraged to assess and influence the foundational data model for the Company Financials product. This role requires an understanding of global financial accounting standards to develop a data model that can support diverse client-types and consumption of data in order to scale. The data model should also easily integrate with other available data sets at Bloomberg.
We’ll trust you to:
- Gain a detailed and complete understanding of Bloomberg’s data processing systems and current data storage mechanisms
- Design and lead the data model and associated taxonomies for company disclosed (inc segments) and broker disclosed content
- Audit existing data model and infrastructure. Put into action industry standard data architecture & modeling with focus on interoperability.
- Work in a fast paced, multifaceted & collaborative setting.
- Define various facets of data models: business concepts/upper-level ontology, state-machine, associated entities, objects, relationships and properties, and vocabulary
- Ability to influence partners in governing data and requisite management of its life cycle
- Promote the practice of data modeling/ontology design and metadata management as part of data lifecycle
- Work together with Product, Engineering teams, and domain experts to help craft data strategy and execution roadmap
- Research industry standards and best practices on data attribute and modeling requirements
You’ll need to have:
- Mastery in analyzing data and functionality for diverse enterprise-scale transactional, streaming, and analytical style demands
- Data design skills for organizing data considering both product need, client usability and engineering objectives
- Data modeling and ontology methods for Conceptual, Logical modeling and familiar with design considerations for crafting database and message schemas.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles and/or financial analysis
- Understanding of large scale, distributed analysis systems with an ability to understand large systems with minimal documentation
- Strong analytical abilities with passion for data and evidence-based decision-making
- Good understanding of system development life cycle and software project management approaches
- Experience with communicating and coordinating with internal/external groups to define project scope and meet project deliverables across the implementation process
- Experience with semantic web technologies and W3C semantic standards.
- Understanding of interoperability standards including SKOS (Simple Knowledge Organization System), RDF (Resource Description Framework), and OWL (Web Ontology Language)
We’d love to see:
- Previous 7+ years’ experience as a Data Modeler or Architect working with large scalable systems. Preferably with semantic web technologies.
- Solid ability to combine technical data science traits with good business insight
- A familiarity or experience with XBRL, iXBRL and GAAP Taxonomies
- Experience using a Scrum Agile process
- Knowledge of Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition and Natural Language Processing
- Advanced certification in finance, such as CFA charterholder or CPA
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.