Data Scientist - Economics
Posted Jun 11, 2020 - Requisition No. 83401
Bloomberg runs on data, and in the Global Data team we are responsible for acquiring it and providing it to our clients. We collect, analyze, process, and publish the data which forms the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal - the facts and figures which ultimately move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies, and we implement technology solutions to enhance our systems, products, and processes - and all this while providing platinum customer support to our clients.
The US Economics team is responsible for the provision of macro-economic datasets and data-driven insights for the US and Canada. We seek to continue our role as the leading source of economic indicators and analysis.
You will leverage your demonstrated technical expertise, knowledge of the financial markets, and understanding of client’s needs to enhance our data products. You will work across data teams and departments to optimize workflows, increase automation, and improve internal operations to ensure quality and timely data. As a technical leader in the organization, you will work to deploy code to production, ensure best practices are adhered to, and mentor others.
We’ll trust you to:
- Combine subject-matter-expertise and technical skills to research new ways to improve our processes and datasets
- Design statistical methods to perform quality control of our products
- Analyze internal processes to identify opportunities for improvement, as well as devise and implement new innovative workflow solutions to improve the time to market/quality/create efficiency in your dataset
- Build database schema and maintain workflow configurations for critical functions such as acquisition, data extraction, data loading, and quality control
- Contribute to the creation of best practices and guidelines for governance
- Utilize data visualization skills to report on results of on-going operations and projects, as required
- Collaborate extensively with internal stakeholders (primarily Core Product, Technical Operations, Engineering, and Sales)
- Provide mentorship to data analysts on team
You’ll need to have:
- Experience working with Economic data or familiarity with fundamental economic concepts
- A bachelor's degree, preferably with studies in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or another discipline with a quantitative or computational emphasis
- Experience with software engineering best practices, such as version control and testing
- Proven ability to use technology to innovative data products and processes
- Experience using statistical and machine learning methods to solve real-world problems
- Experience using data visualization tools such as Tableau or QlikSense
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially when explaining technical processes and solutions to business stakeholders and management
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of demonstrated decision-making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to influence others and lead change
- Experience training and mentoring others
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now or in the future
We’d also love to see:
- An advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or another discipline with a quantitative or computational emphasis
- Experience with Agile development practices
- Project management skills and/or experience, CAPM, PMP and/or CSM preferred
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We will be in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.