Data Scientist - Supply Chain
Posted Aug 24, 2020 - Requisition No. 84537
At Bloomberg, our products are fueled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Global Data, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately. Bloomberg runs on data. The Supply Chain team is responsible for providing companies with deep insights into their purchasing and production costs, how to manage procurement expenditures, and helping to identify potential supplier or customer risks. For investment professionals, supply chain analysis can help provide an edge by finding production disruptions at suppliers or spending budget cuts at a company’s customer base. Supply Chain data can help detect positive signals emanating from deep within the supply chains of their current or prospective portfolio holdings.
As a Data Scientist you need to possess a unique combination of technical skills and business acumen, as well as strong communication and interpersonal skills when speaking to key stakeholders. You will use these skills to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders including the specialists on the team to achieve results and create business opportunities. Leverage your market knowledge and experiences, understanding of client needs, and technical expertise to enhance our data products by generating premium content. You will play a key role in optimizing workflow solutions to improve automation and internal operations, quality, timeliness, and coverage of our data sets.
We’ll trust you to:
- Research new data sets, build subject matter expertise, and leverage technical skills to generate premium content
- Perform quality control to ensure data accuracy by comparing Bloomberg data to source documentation
- Utilize statistics and data visualization skills to report on results of on-going operations and projects, as required
- Analyze metadata and internal processes to identify opportunities for improvement, as well as devise and implement innovative solutions
- Design and manage workflow configurations for critical functions such as acquisition, worklist management, and quality control
- Implement business rules for programmatic data validation by codifying market conventions and/or data relationships
- Lead ad hoc projects or work with a team to optimize processes and/or improve the quality of the data set
- Partner with a wide variety of stakeholders from Engineering to Sales on product development
- Mentor and train technical talent within the team
You’ll need to have:
- A bachelor's degree, preferably with combined studies in Information Systems and Finance, or related business and STEM fields
- Proven ability to use technology to innovative data products and processes
- Experience using statistical and machine learning methods to solve real-world problems
- Demonstrated project or work experience with 2+ years programming and scripting in Python production environment
- Understanding and experience of statistics and data modeling
- Established presence in virtual development communities such as GitHub, Stack Overflow and HackerRank
- Experience using data visualization tools such as Tableau or QlikSense
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of demonstrated decision-making and problem solving skills
- Strong passion for data, technology and finance
- Ability to work under pressure and in a frequently changing environment
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to influence others and lead change
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now or in the future
We’d love to see:
- Experience with geospatial data and Python libraries
- Familiarity with SQL syntax and query logic
- Prior work experience in information technology, engineering, finance, data analysis or research
- An advanced degree in Business, Computer Science or Engineering
- Experience working in an Agile development team
- Project management skills and/or experience, CAPM, PMP and/or CSM preferred
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation (for Data Management only)
- Exposure to Bloomberg products such as the Professional Service
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We will be in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.