Data Scientist, Bloomberg Law
Posted Jan 10, 2020 - Requisition No. 80629
The Bloomberg Law (BLAW) division of Global Data supports best-in-class tools, search and analytics for products in the areas of Law, Government and Tax. We extract knowledge from hundreds of millions of legal documents and build intelligent models to enable our customers to get the right answers quickly.
The BLAW Data Technology team is responsible for using and developing cutting-edge technologies to enhance our acquisition, data processing workflows and automation models. The team provides primary support for BLAW GD teams as well as other business stakeholders who utilize the tools, services and workflows built and maintained by the team.
You have an ability to think out-of-the box, are self-organized, and a strong communicator. You like to take responsibility of your work and make it your own. You also have an ability to fail fast, and know when to switch approach and creatively think of an alternate solution.
We’ll trust you to:
- Have experience using data analysis to improve business operations and data quality. Work experience, academic research, or a personal portfolio are great ways to demonstrate this.
- Communicate effectively with non-technical partners at all stages of a project, from sourcing ideas and figuring out requirements to explaining methodological decisions and modeling outcomes.
- Acquire subject-matter expertise as needed in order to deliver effective data science solutions.
- Collaborate with other data scientists, data analysts, and business stakeholders seeking to learn how to apply analytical methods to their products.
- Have experience with software engineering standard methodologies. We value code quality, reliable systems, and reproducible research.
- Have strong programming experience. We develop primarily in Python and will expect you to do so as well. Knowledge on Jupyter notebook is a big plus.
- Have experience manipulating and pipelining data, querying databases, developing statistical models, and reporting and visualizing results.
We’d love to see:
- Experience working in a large organization. We take care of messy data from disparate sources and legacy systems with limited documentation.
- Experience with financial data, or with alternative data that could inform investment theses (such as government data, web data, or geospatial data).
- Formal training in statistics, machine learning, or software engineering.
You’ll need to:
- Have 2+ years of full-time work experience.
- Be able to work legally in the US without visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.