Senior Ontologist - Data Management Lab
Posted Sep 7, 2023 - Requisition No. 118707
Bloomberg runs on data, and in Data we're responsible for acquiring, interpreting and supplying data insights to our clients. Our Data teams work to collect, analyze, process, and publish the data which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal - the data which ultimately moves the financial markets! We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies and we implement solutions to enhance our systems, products and processes- all while delivering advanced insights to our clients. We’re responsible for delivering this data, news, and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
What’s the role?
The Data Management Lab (DML) provides comprehensive and consistent data management capabilities to Bloomberg. This includes domain management, data quality monitoring, metadata management, and master/reference data management. The DML product group is responsible for improving data governance and data quality across various data domains (Entity Management, Security Management, Entity Attributes etc.) to empower our business partners and systems.
This team is seeking a highly motivated candidate to maintain and extend our knowledge representations. In addition this person will partner with various cross-functional business & technical teams to ensure understanding of how to apply the team’s metadata and taxonomies both present and future state.
We’ll trust you to:
- Collaborate with other Senior Ontologists in the design, maintenance and future-proofing of our knowledge management practices
- Actively own the existing ontology; build/delete/update nodes and metadata
- Actively maintain the Class classification rules. Coordinate fallout remediation with dataset owners
- Coordinate with the Reference Data Manager to develop best practices for standard naming conventions and coding practices to ensure consistency and interoperability of data models
- Coordinate with the Bloomberg Data Dictionary Team to ensure the knowledge representation is coordinated into the data dictionary
- Review Domain and Range for Entities and Controlled Vocabularies and coordinate agreement on SuperTyping and other aspects of the data dictionary
- Help to develop and deliver taxonomy and content governance plans
- Recommend opportunities for reuse of data models in new environments
- Work closely with the business and engineering teams to define data elements, metadata, master/reference data rules, processes and data quality metrics
You'll need to have:
- A BA/BS or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, Finance or relevant data technology field, or equivalent professional work experience.
- 4-5 years’ experience of professional work experience in Data Modeling, Quality Assurance or related field
- Proven background in knowledge representations and modeling. Practiced in W3C semantic standards
- 4+ years of experience in at least one of semantic web technologies, natural-language processing or unstructured content classification
- Solid understanding of interoperability standards including SKOS (Simple Knowledge Organization System), RDF (Resource Description Framework), and OWL (Web Ontology Language)
- Experience with triple stores, graphs, document stores and other No-SQL databases
- Proficiency in data analysis, semantic modeling, knowledge and ontology engineering
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now or in the future
- Ability to work in the US without visa sponsorship now or in the future
We'd love to see:
- Master’s Degree in one of the above fields of study is strongly preferred
- Experience mentoring and teaching data skills to others
- Experience with collaborative development and version control systems (e.g. git)
- Understanding of large-scale, distributed systems
- Strong aptitude for problem solving particularly to modify and enhance processes and workflows
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 110,000 - 170,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus