Posted Dec 8, 2022 - Requisition No. 112251
Bloomberg runs on data, and in the Global Data team we're responsible for acquiring it and providing it to our clients. We collect, analyze, process and publish the data which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal- the facts and figures which ultimately move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies, and we implement technology solutions to improve our systems, products and processes- and all this while delivering sophisticated insights to our clients.
What’s the role?
The Data Management Lab (DML) within Global Data provides comprehensive and consistent data management capabilities to Bloomberg. This includes domain management, data quality monitoring, metadata management, and master/reference data management. The DML product group is responsible for improving data governance and data quality across various data domains (Entity Management, Security Management, Entity Attributes etc.) to empower our business partners and systems.
This team is seeking a highly motivated candidate to maintain and extend our knowledge representations. In addition this person will partner with various cross-functional business & technical teams to ensure understanding of how to apply the team’s metadata and taxonomies.
We’ll trust you to:
- Collaborate with other Senior Ontologists in the design, maintenance and future-proofing of our knowledge management practices
- Actively lead the existing ontology; create/delete/update nodes and metadata
- Actively maintain the Class classification rules. Coordinate fallout remediation with dataset owners
- Coordinate with the Reference Data Manager to develop best practices for standard naming conventions and coding practices to ensure consistency and interoperability of data models
- Coordinate with the Bloomberg Data Dictionary Team to ensure the knowledge representation is coordinated into the data dictionary
- Review Domain and Range for Entities and Controlled Vocabularies and coordinate agreement on SuperTyping and other aspects of the data dictionary
- Help to develop and deliver taxonomy and content governance plans
- Recommend opportunities for reuse of data models in new environments
- Work closely with the business and engineering teams to define data elements, metadata, master/reference data rules, processes and data quality metrics
You'll need to have:
- Proven background in knowledge representations and modeling. Practiced in W3C semantic standards
- 4+ years of experience in at least one of semantic web technologies, natural-language processing or unstructured content classification
- Solid understanding of interoperability standards including SKOS (Simple Knowledge Organization System), RDF (Resource Description Framework), and OWL (Web Ontology Language)
- Experience with triple stores, graphs, document stores and other No-SQL databases
- Proficiency in data analysis, semantic modeling, knowledge and ontology engineering
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now or in the future
We'd love to see:
- Master’s Degree is strongly preferred
- Experience mentoring and instructing data skills to others
- Experience with collaborative development and version control systems (e.g. git)
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.