Senior Software Engineer - Blaw Data Management
Posted Oct 26, 2022 - Requisition No. 90972
At Bloomberg Law, we’re building the world’s most sophisticated legal research platform. Our platform is built on a massive search engine that ranges over billions of legal documents—laws, lawsuits, books, treatises, how-tos, and all the legal news from our award-winning newsdesk. On top of this dataset, we’ve built a suite of analytics and ML-powered tools that enable attorneys to do things like analyze how a judge has ruled on a certain topic, see how the language in a contract compares to market, or parry their opponents’ arguments with a case they haven’t even thought of! Our mission is to automate away the tedious aspects of lawyering and help our customers work smarter on the hard stuff.
We’re transforming the legal industry with technology, we’ve also built a working community in which women, people of color, and other underrepresented groups thrive, both as engineers and managers. We’re committed to continuing to evolve a culture that recognizes, supports, and promotes people of all backgrounds. We’re looking for people who approach their work with thoughtfulness, care, and a spirit of cooperation.
Within Bloomberg Law, the Data Management Systems team is hiring! We are responsible for the data that powers Bloomberg Law. This includes acquiring the sources of our data, leveraging both manual and automated solutions for extraction and transformation of specific data points, persisting the golden copy, and publishing to various endpoints where it can be surfaced by clients of both Bloomberg Law and the terminal. Additionally, for our most crucial datasets, we use deep domain knowledge to create data assets from our commoditized raw data.
As part of our team, you will help build a visualization layer on top of the Bloomberg Law data platform, as well as develop the internal tools that our data analysts use to curate our products. You will be given the opportunity to display your creativity and deliver continuous end-user value in an Agile environment. We are self-motivated engineers who like to research, learn, and apply current technologies to build new product features that anticipate our customers’ needs.
We’ll trust you to:
- Work directly with product owners and data experts to provide data and build products that our clients use to solve complex problems.
- Build and support a distributed platform supporting all Bloomberg Law data.
- Work with data analysts to collect insight on possible data collection efficiencies and identify automation potential for manual workflows.
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C++, Python, Java, etc.).
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience.
We'd love to see:
- Experience with relational databases.
- A passion to learn new technologies.
- Experience with applying machine learning algorithms to solve complex data mining problems.
- Knowledge of Spark, AWS EMR or AWS ecosystem in general.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.