Senior Software Engineer - Crowdsourcing Technologies
Posted Sep 20, 2020 - Requisition No. 81379
Crowdsourcing is the practice of leveraging a large group of people to accomplish a task by disseminating micro tasks, typically via an online platform. Bloomberg utilizes both public crowdsourcing platforms such as Figure Eight as well as its own platform called GIGWork. These platforms are typically used for activities such as gathering data, confirmation of data accuracy, and collecting ground truth data.
As more and more teams throughout Bloomberg Engineering begin utilizing machine learning, the need for high quality ground truth data, and supporting systems to obtain that data, has never been higher. GIGWork is in a unique position to facilitate this data gathering, and as such is quickly gaining in importance to the ML efforts of our firm. However, there are still many enhancements needed to meet the unique requirements of our engineers and data scientists. Some planned projects include integration of active learning (i.e., using x models to select data for annotation), more streamlined integration with our machine learning infrastructure, support for more sophisticated workflows including automated ground truth collection and machine learning model training, seamless integration of annotation tools, capturing worker statistics, and much more.
The Data Technologies Crowdsourcing team is responsible for the development and maintenance of our crowdsourcing solutions within Bloomberg. We are looking for a strong Software Engineer that has a passion for application development and a strong desire to bring Bloomberg’s machine learning efforts to the next level.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design, implement and own critical applications and components of our services stack.
- Participate in the full SDLC of various components and systems that are required to be robust and scalable.
- Get to know engineering and data teams across Bloomberg, understand their application requirements and data access patterns.
- Understand the needs of data scientists and machine learning engineers and how those needs translate to functional enhancements to the platform.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills, and ability to thrive in a highly collaborative and dynamic work environment.
- Extensive experience with Python in Unix/Linux environment.
- Background knowledge/experience with Machine Learning.
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field.
You’ll need to have:
We’d love to see:
- Hands-on experience working with containers e.g. Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience working with Cloud Computing platforms e.g. AWS
- An open mindset to using new technologies
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.