Senior Software Engineer - DT Financial Instruments Datasets
Posted May 27, 2022 - Requisition No. 81475
The Data Technologies Financial Instruments Datasets Engineering group designs and builds complex large-scale automated data processing pipelines and manual remediation workflows to get reference and pricing data from external sources (websites, regulatory filings, documents, FTPs, exchange feeds, news, etc) and into Bloomberg's ecosystem. We then transform the data into standardized consumable schema payloads published for teams downstream to display via various client-facing UI's/API's for financial instrument products including Corporate Bonds, Corporate Loans, Municipal Bonds, Government/Treasury Bonds, Funds/ETFs, Portfolio Holdings, Indices, Equities, Equity and Fixed Income Corporate Actions, Corporate Events, Dividend Forecasting, and Ratings. We are also responsible for the client-facing UI’s/API’s for the community/profile/social media applications for Bloomberg including biographies, listings of company boards, rankings of wealthy individuals and endowments, and many more!
This critical security level and people level data are the lifeblood of the Bloomberg Terminal and Enterprise products. Our team is rebuilding these workflows and applications from scratch. This includes brand-new JSON/AVRO format schema-based data models stored/analyzed in big data platforms (MySQL/HBase/Solr) and leveraging pipes/feeds (Kafka) for downstream consumption, data processing pipelines and pre-publish business rules validation engines using Kubernetes/Python-based microservices, newly trained Machine Learning (ML) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) models and entity recognition/disambiguation mapping services integrated into the overall flow to identify, extract, and enrich the data, and manual remediation worklists and UI's for analysts and vendors to correct the data when the automation fails and manual intervention is required along with client-facing UI’s. Some of these brand-new workflows and applications are already underway and many are set to begin soon. We are looking to add skilled software engineers to help us design and build these full end-to-end data processing pipelines/workflows/UI’s. They will fully replace the existing legacy workflows and applications with a focus on improving the accuracy, coverage, timeliness, and discoverability of the data we collect, as well as greatly improving the overall efficiency of our company’s Data analysts and vendors who monitor these workflows, and enhancing the data and views/analytics given to Bloomberg’s end-users.
If the idea of getting to design and build a brand-new automated data processing pipeline/manual remediation workflow to replace an existing one, where you can have a huge impact on the data quality and efficiency of collecting data that is vital to Bloomberg's success, or the idea of getting to manage the client-facing UI’s/API’s of one of the most critical datasets for our end clients, the people/community datasets, interests you, please read on and apply to this job posting!
We will trust you to:
- Take ownership of the critical products and their designs, and then build and iterate at a rapid and incremental pace following the full SDLC best practices.
- Work with a variety of technologies to develop innovative solutions.
- Collaborate proactively in an agile, fast-paced team that works closely with other engineering teams, product/business teams, and data teams.
- Be a passionate problem solver and think outside the box and take smart, calculated risks to deliver the highest business value.
- Deliver on time without compromising on quality, and while displaying strong software craftsmanship.
You will need to have:
- 2+ years of experience in designing and implementing complex full stack software applications.
- Familiarity with database programming and data modeling (SQL and JSON/AVRO and database/schema design).
- Familiarity with User interface (UI) design and user experience (UX) principles.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills.
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Software Engineering, related fields, or relevant industry experience.
We would love to see:
- Experience building critical pipelines of data flowing from original un-structured source documents to structured/mapped/schema-based data stores for downstream consumption, with an emphasis on automation over manual remediation, and on scalability/configurability.
- An understanding of the design, implementation, and deployment of high performance, high availability, large-scale applications in a distributed environment.
- Experience with Data Science and ML/NLP techniques to help with automation.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.