Senior Software Engineer - Data Technologies Web Services
Posted Jul 12, 2019 - Requisition No. 76060
The Data Technologies Web Services team provides web-based solutions to facilitate the acquisition of new data streams from outside parties into the Bloomberg ecosystem. Our solutions include full end-client applications, such as OpenFIGI.com and lei.bloomberg.com, web application tools such as Annex, and crowdsourcing solutions that the team maintains and is continually improving.
As more and more teams in Bloomberg Global Data start to focus on the speed and quality of data sets, our team is creating a new web-based portal to support these emerging use cases. The web portal would replace many existing manual steps, and enable a streamlined workflow process with a schema-driven web form, scalable API endpoint, and performant batch processing, which would integrate with various teams’ backend workflows. We will utilize an array of open source technologies, along with Bloomberg’s infrastructure technologies.
We are looking for a strong software engineer that has a passion for web application development, strong design/implementation skills integrating multiple external/internal systems, and a strong desire to help bring Bloomberg’s data workflow efforts to the next level.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design, implement and own critical applications and components of our platform
- Participate in the full SDLC of various components and systems that are required to be robust and scalable
- Get to know engineering and data teams across Bloomberg, understand their application requirements and data access patterns
- Understand the needs of our clients, and come up with efficient and innovative approach to translate them to features and enhancements to the platform
- Keep bringing the latest and greatest innovation and technology stack from open source community to our products
You’ll need to have:
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a highly collaborative and dynamic work environment
- A familiarity with Python
- Comfortable with Unix/Linux environment
- Experience and knowledge in unit testing, refactoring, and software engineering design patterns and best practices
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- Experience working with cloud computing platforms e.g. AWS
- Hands-on experience working with containers e.g. Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Experience working with new/emerging web technologies such as WebAssembly, WebSocket, gRPC, GraphQL etc.
- Experience with Go