Senior Web Engineer - Data Technologies Engineering
Posted Aug 24, 2022 - Requisition No. 104830
Bloomberg Data Technologies Engineering is seeking a strong Software Engineer that has a passion for full stack web application development, strong design/implementation skills, and experience integrating multiple external and internal systems.
Bloomberg Data Technologies is responsible for the acquisition, enrichment, and distribution of data and news throughout the firm and the Bloomberg Terminal. We have hundreds of thousands of internal and external users across the globe who are actively using our applications to analyze and process information that is critical to our clients in making key investment decisions. Key aspects of our business include developing web sites and web applications to facilitate our data pipeline. Our team develops applications for both internal and external clients. Internally, our tools help support AI and machine learning related projects, as well as a wide variety of mission critical data workflows. Some of the externally facing sites we have developed include openfigi.com which supports the Financial Instrument Global Identifier, gigwork.net - Bloomberg’s open-source crowdsourcing platform, lei.bloomberg.com for distributing Legal Entity Identifiers, and up.bloomberg.com - Bloomberg’s generic data upload portal for third party providers.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design, implement and own critical applications and components of our platform.
- Participate in the full SDLC of various components and systems that are required to be robust and scalable.
- Get to know engineering and data teams across Bloomberg, understand their application requirements and data access patterns.
- Understand the needs of our clients, and come up with an efficient and innovative approach to translate them to features and enhancements to the platform.
- Bring the latest and greatest innovation and technology stack features from the open source community to our products.
You’ll need to have:
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a highly collaborative and dynamic work environment.
- Fundamental knowledge in web technologies including HTTP, DNS, Load Balancing, etc.
- 3+ years experience working with Python, including server application, frameworks, and CLI tools.
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field.
Nice to have (you will have opportunity to learn):
- Experience in enhancing Web application performance and user experience.
- Experience working with Cloud Computing platforms e.g. AWS.
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies.
- Hands-on experience working with containers e.g. Kubernetes and Docker.
- Knowledge of machine learning and data science technologies.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.