Senior Web Engineer - Data Technologies Engineering
Posted Dec 27, 2022 - Requisition No. 112771
Bloomberg delivers billions of data points to our customers each day and our clients heavily rely on comprehensive financial information including real-time market data to identify trends and gain data transparency so they can analyze the value of a potential investment, partnership, or acquisition target. In order to make this analysis possible for our clients, the Data Technologies Engineering department is responsible for designing and building large-scale sophisticated infrastructure and data processing pipelines to acquire financial reference information and pricing data from sources around the world (regulatory agencies, exchanges, central banks, buy-side and sell-side firms, websites, news, feeds, etc).
The data processed through our systems is the lifeblood of the Bloomberg Terminal as well as Enterprise solutions across all the major asset classes including Equity, Fixed Income, Mutual Funds/ETFs, Mortgages, Portfolios/Holdings, and Indices. In addition to these major asset classes, we provide news, biographical, and company management information for the major players in the financial markets.
Due to the nature and sensitivity of our data to the market, performance, reliability and quality are key features of our systems. We apply state-of-the-art techniques (including Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), and Heuristic algorithms) to extract, standardize, enrich, and publish billions of data points that fuel Bloomberg products. Our services leverage big data technologies such as HBase, Hive, MySQL Vitess, and Spark as well as a scalable Kubernetes-based microservice platform and a bi-temporal Point In Time (PIT) database solution.
We are a technologically diverse group solving a number of challenging problems using innovative techniques. We are proud of our intellectual curiosity and the quality of our product. We share a passion for solving real life problems and provide pragmatic solutions by rolling up our sleeves and collaborating seamlessly, within and across teams, to provide our clients with accurate, timely data to make critical investing decisions.
What you will do:
As a member of our department, you will have the opportunity to research, design and develop high quality, low latency, distributed, and scalable self-service platforms and mission-critical applications that provide financial data delivery to our customers around the globe. This includes developing innovative solutions to provide automation as well as manual processing utilizing a variety of proprietary and open source technologies on microservices-based architecture with generic and extensible data models stored in big data platforms. You will work closely with Business, Data, and other Engineering teams globally in a hybrid environment on all phases of software development using Agile methodologies. You will take full ownership of products and collaborate with team members and stakeholders to shape the team's direction, culture, and vision.
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Experience building gPRC/GraphQL/REST services
- Functional expertise building microservices
- Prior contributions to system design and architecture and scaling fault-tolerant, distributed systems
- Honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, partners and management
Nice to have (you will have opportunity to learn):
- Experience working with Microservice architectures and methodologies such as Twelve-factor and Lambda
- Familiarity with Transport and Application layer protocols
- Familiarity with Big Data, SQL and NoSQL Databases, and Cloud-Based Object Stores
- Familiarity with queuing and caching technologies
- Experience with Data Science and Machine Learning techniques to help with automation
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.