Posted Apr 20, 2023 - Requisition No. 115692
Bloomberg runs on data, and in the Data department we're responsible for acquiring, interpreting and supplying data insights to our clients. We collect, analyze, process, and publish the data which is the backbone of the Bloomberg Terminal (and other client facing products) - the facts and figures which ultimately move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies, and we implement technology solutions to improve our systems, products and processes - and all this while delivering sophisticated insights to our clients.
The Data Management Lab (DML) sits within the Data organization, and supports Data’s pursuit of data management excellence through aligning industry standard processes on data management principles with Bloomberg's established expertise in financial market data. DML empowers our data professionals to make their products “ready-to-use”, through promoting increased data discoverability, accessibility, appraisability, interoperability, and analysis-ready.
What’s the role?
As a Technical Writer, you will apply your detail-oriented and collaborative skills to deliver technical documents such as software specifications, user manuals, training materials, standard processes and more. You will be involved from discovery to maintenance in a variety of topics and mediums. The day to day will vary, some days you may be updating websites through mkdocs while others may consist of drafting user specifications for a new initiative. The role requires working closely with a variety of partners, ranging from engineers to domain experts. You will be pivotal in firm-wide adoption of innovative tooling and methodologies, as well as maturity of our practices.
We’ll trust you to:
- Author, edit, maintain, and proof new and existing documentation
- Communicate sophisticated topics with appropriate scope to varying audiences
- Manage multiple stakeholders, deadlines, and challenging priorities
- Work together and effectively connect with Product, CTO, Engineering, and Data departments
- Develop a detailed understanding of Bloomberg’s data management systems
- Be a storyteller, capable of shifting between a variety of writing styles: technical, academic, journalistic, and business
- Organize information, promote accessibility, and learn about new technologies
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of technical writing experience or related field
- A Bachelor’s degree in writing, communications, education or related discipline
- Solid attention to detail and proven decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Experience working with Markdown, GitHub and MkDocs
- Experience working with Microsoft Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and related Google editors (e.g. Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, etc.)
- Proven experience either in role or project putting together end-user documentation or training materials
We’d love to see:
- Experience in information technology, engineering, finance, data analysis or research
- Experience navigating both new and legacy large-scale systems
- Experience using a Scrum Agile process
- Experience working with semantic technologies, annotations, quality, business intelligence or data modeling
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.