Posted Dec 7, 2022 - Requisition No. 112178
California Reporter, Sacramento, California
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic reporter to cover California from the state Capitol in Sacramento. The nation’s most populous state is at the center of many of the most important stories in the US, whether that be its power to shape global markets through legislative or regulatory action; climate policy innovation; politics and demographics, or the role some of the world's most important technology, entertainment and finance companies play in the economy. This reporter also will play a major role in producing a new newsletter designed to showcase Bloomberg's California coverage.
The job requires someone eager to break news and explore how power, politics and social innovation happen throughout California, and how the decisions made in the state Capitol drive that transformation. Our Sacramento reporter will have a keen understanding of the policies, politics and personalities that Bloomberg customers need to know and understand as they assess how California will affect their futures, regardless of where they live, work or do business. The job reports to the California Bureau Chief, who is based in San Francisco, and we expect the reporter to be able to travel among our other California bureaus in San Francisco and Los Angeles and around the state for stories as needed.
We will trust you to:
- Work with the California Bureau Chief to produce coverage that is forward-looking and highly influential throughout California and nationally, and across Bloomberg News’s global platforms
- Regularly break news and produce high-quality enterprise pieces
- Develop close relationships with other journalists and editors whose teams report on California from inside and outside the state, as a way to identify trends and spur coordination
- Be comfortable producing journalism on a variety of platforms, including print stories for the Terminal, Web and Bloomberg Businessweek; spots on Bloomberg Television and Radio as well as external broadcast networks; videos on Bloomberg Quicktake, and more
- The capacity to work quickly and collaboratively under intense deadline pressure as well as on longer-range deadlines
- Exceptional news judgment and source-development skills
- An understanding of California’s policy landscape, in particular business, tax and financial regulation, along with water, energy, sustainability and the state’s bold climate goals.
- Have a history of breaking stories along with sources who can help them land other exclusives and in-depth pieces
- Spanish language or other language skills that reflect California’s diverse cultures are a plus.
You will need:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 90,000 - 120,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus