Engineering Team Leader - Real Time Communications Platform
San Francisco, CA
Posted Dec 2, 2022 - Requisition No. 112090
Bloomberg data moves global financial markets, and conversations around that data are central to how markets are shaped. Through the terminal, clients can connect with anyone in its expansive community. Now more than ever, clients expect communication to be enriched through real-time audio and video. The Real Time Communication (RTC) Platform team is made up of AV conferencing specialists entrusted with the mission to create a platform that enables interoperable, real-time communication across applications and environments and drive integration with Bloomberg's best-in-class financial products.
Our core responsibility is to continue scaling Bloomberg's Real Time Communication platform using the latest technologies and standards to meet the demands of scale, resiliency, compliance, and feature sets inherent in a fast growing industry. In addition, we will aim to continue integrating real time communication into the core suite of Bloomberg applications to make video, audio and telephony communication as ubiquitous and practical as traditional text-based communication. From the core platform, we will continue to grow our set of advanced media services into directions such as recording, speech to text, streaming, computer vision, or any other promising initiatives that enrich Bloomberg Terminal user experience.
Few of the challenges that the team is currently addressing are:
- Scaling our Audio and Video capacity to up to 400000 users globally
- Instant global connectivity
- Support for large rooms (500+ participants)
- Enabling interoperability between Audio, Video and Telephony solutions that the team currently provides
- Building a common platform for Recording and Streaming Media
As a team leader, you will be responsible for creating the vision of how the team will build the next generation Real Time Communication Platform. We are looking for someone who is an excellent collaborator and has proven experience in hiring, building, and leading diverse teams.
As the team leader for this team we will trust you to:
- Hire, coach and build a diverse team of engineers in San Francisco
- Develop a deep understanding of the domain and client needs
- Champion and look for opportunities
- Collaborate with partners across the UX, Product, Engineering and Developer community.
- Drive innovation and the technical direction of the team
- Be a hands-on leader, whether pair programming or peer reviewing or partnering with the product team to build and enhance our offerings
- Champion agile approaches where needed to drive efficiency and improvements in quality
You’ll need to have:
- Experience in people leadership roles
- Experience designing, building, and supporting production systems in C++/Java and Python
- Experience building and designing back end infrastructure for Real Time Communication
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development
- Experience in building and operating extensible, scalable, and resilient systems
- A self starter with the ability to work effectively on a team with excellent spoken and written communication
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience.
We'd love to see:
- Demonstrated success at hiring and growing teams
- Prior experience launching or leading greenfield initiatives
- A track record of building applications and scaling complex distributed systems
- Knowledge of WebRTC or similar video conferencing frameworks
- Knowledge media formats (MP4, WebM), codecs (VP8, VP9, Opus) and video conferencing protocols/standards
- Knowledge of Asterisk and SIP protocol
- Experience with open source contributions
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 200,000 - 300,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus