San Francisco, CA
Posted Aug 5, 2019 - Requisition No. 76490
The U.S. legal team breaks news on and provides insight into the highest profile civil and criminal cases that can determine the fates of Wall Street, the White House, corporate America and more. We are looking for an experienced reporter who is well sourced in the legal community to break news on the highest-profile litigation and criminal cases. On a perfect day, you’re someone that is able to report the scoop, go on TV and radio to explain it, then pull together the behind-the-scenes take on why it matters. You’ll need to keep calm under pressure and ably translate complicated legal concepts into readily understandable prose that cuts to the heart of why any given case matters to the Bloomberg reader.
We also want your creative ideas on how to tell these stories – it’s not just about the breaking news, but also why it’s happening now and what it means for the broader picture. We want someone ready to jump in with new ideas and eager to collaborate across teams to harness the best reporting across the newsroom so every story is written with the sharpest insight.
We’ll trust you to:
- Report on high-profile civil and criminal cases and their impact on the business world and its players.
- Explore a variety of storytelling platforms, and the use of graphics and visuals.
- Maintain and supplement a strong network of sources.
- Stay informed on latest trends on social media.
- Be a resourceful, dynamic team-player and a self-starting individual contributor.
- Work under tight deadlines and collaborate with reporters and editors across many bureaus.
- Have awareness of the major news stories on Wall Street, at companies, and in government and how they interact - or may interact- with the legal world.
You’ll need to have:
- 5 or more years of experience in business journalism, with demonstrated experience covering the legal beat and courts.
- Experience working in a real-time and agile news environment.
- A well-rounded and dependable network of sources.
- Sound news judgement and a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to track legal developments with great attention to detail.
- Ability to partner effectively with reporters and editors across the newsroom and across various beats to break stories quickly and accurately.
- Previous experience working with Television and/or radio is a plus.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
If this sounds like you, apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.