Network Operations Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Posted May 23, 2023 - Requisition No. 116449
The Bloomberg Network Operations team oversees and supports one of the largest private networks in the world. As part of this team, you will be responsible for the maintenance, support, and development of the Bloomberg Network–spanning over 100 node sites and connecting clients globally to over 1,500 exchanges–which is integral to the success of the company. You will ensure our customers have 24/7 access to the Network in order for them to run their business successfully. You will provide reactive support to customers’ networking issues as well as proactive project work to ensure the Bloomberg network maintains its position at the leading edge of network design and low latency delivery of data to our customers.
What's The Role?
In our Americas region (AMER) team, you will be joining a group of engineers who are not just passionate about technology, but keen to solve complex problems from analyzing packets to troubleshooting network incidents. You will partner with a hardworking and approachable team with diverse backgrounds, and collaborate with colleagues around the world. You will also be a critical point of contact between Network Operations and various internal departments to improve the quality of technical and telecommunication services.
We’ll Trust You To:
- Provide support, maintenance, and hands-on troubleshooting of our global network using proprietary and third-party platforms, from a variety of vendors (e.g., Juniper, Cisco, Arista, and Nokia).
- Adhere to strict deadlines and manage projects, including the installation and decommission of hardware.
- Resolve connectivity issues to our most critical customers, financial markets and stock exchanges.
- Provide day-to-day support of Bloomberg’s market data infrastructure across the globe.
- Be able to communicate at different levels and across regions, demonstrate flexibility in your approach, and remain level-headed under pressure.
You’ll Need To Have:
- A networking degree or relevant work experience as a Network Operations Engineer / Network Engineer.
- The ability to work effectively and take initiative in a fast-paced, innovative environment demonstrating high energy, a sense of urgency, and decisiveness
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain a professional demeanor when handling complex network issues
- Practical experience with network protocols, e.g., MPLS, BGP, OSPF, STP, LACP, etc., and hands-on network troubleshooting experience of critical issues
- Demonstrated experience with applying analytical skills to problem solve issues autonomously and collaboratively with external and internal partners
We’d Love To See:
- Advanced networking certifications (e.g., CCNP, JNCIP, CCIE, etc.)
- Experience with automation (ansible), firewalls (Palo Alto, Checkpoint), load balancers (F5), cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP), programming (Python and PHP)
- Familiarity with white box vendors (Cumulus, Arcos, etc.)
- Understanding of financial markets and underlying technologies in data and experience working with stock exchange and market data connectivity
- Knowledge of Data Center build and design fundamentals
- Understanding of multicast deployments using IGMP/PIM/MVR
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 120,000 - 140,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus