Senior Search and Storage Engineer - San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
Posted Jul 3, 2017 - Requisition No. 59290
Bloomberg is the world's premier financial data and analytics provider. For over 30 years, we have provided timely and accurate data to the world's financial institutions, including the largest banks and most elite hedge funds.
Here in our San Francisco office we've identified an opportunity to reach a new client base by building a brand new product that opens our data, core products and visualizations to data scientists, machine learning researchers, and quantitative modelers.
We're building a financial development platform and are looking for people to help build out our library and search infrastructure. Our clients are generating GB's of new code and data daily, and we need to build a novel infrastructure to store it. You are needed to come help us take our client's algorithms and make them installable world-wide, distributively hosted on our servers or searchable by their coworkers.
Our clients want the power of Bloomberg analytics, flexibility of programming, and quick answers. Come help us redefine how the financial industry develops their next trading idea.
We'll trust you to:
- Build a platform to store and index thousands of clients' codebases and data
- Expand our sharing network to allow clients to share and collaborate on code
- Provide a search infrastructure for rich tools to make it easier for our clients to write code and analysis
- Learn and understand the variety of ways quantitative developers conduct research; from back-testing trading strategies over years of price history information to modeling and evaluating portfolio risk
- Come up with ideas on how to improve the financial data science platform and help implement them.
You need to have:
- 2+ years with designing distributed data storage solutions (HBase, Cassandra, S3, etc.)
- 2+ years building search infrastructure (Solr, Lucene, ElasticSearch, etc.)
- 2+ years developing Python, C or C++
We'd Love to see:
- Experience with indexing and storing code and building auto-complete infrastructure
- Experience with test driven development, CI and CD workflows
- Experience contributing to Open-Source projects
- An appreciation for how our data sets underpin the world's financial systems - if you don't know anything about finance, you'll pick it up by interacting with a world-class team of market experts.