Senior Software Engineer - BQuant Enterprise
San Francisco, CA
Posted Jan 30, 2020 - Requisition No. 81062
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news and insight. Using the power of technology, we connect the world’s decision makers to accurate information on the financial markets – and help them make faster, smarter decisions.
So where does BQuant fit in?
Finance is changing, and fast; new financial professionals are even learning python themselves. Here in our San Francisco office we’ve identified an opportunity to reach this tech savvy client base by building a product that opens our data, core products and visualizations to data scientists, ML researchers, and quantitative modelers.
Gone are the days of downloading raw CSV files! The BQuant platform allows users to bring their algorithms to our data, not the other way around. Our service provides a unified environment where users can develop their code and test, share, and deploy it easily. Our impact? Providing the entire industry with tools that are currently only available to large banks and hedge funds, through customer deployed installations in enterprise environments.
Talk tech to me…
We started building this product five years ago so of course we’re using the latest technologies, such as Kubernetes, Docker, VMWare, Terraform and Jupyter Notebooks. We actually employ two full-time Jupyter committers who won the ACM Turing award for their work! Building such a highly visible & impactful Bloomberg product requires that we meet regularly with senior stakeholders such as our CTO, Shawn, and the Global Head of Engineering, Vlad. Their 2020 ask is that we ship our product to our first enterprise customers. This remit presents many interesting challenges, particularly around stability and security. That’s where you come in.
We'll trust you to:
- Bring your expertise and dev-ops mindset to develop customer installable deployments targeting Kubernetes on major cloud providers, on-premise and on a Bloomberg managed deployment in the future
- Develop deployed features such as credential management, notebooks scheduling, git integration and user customizable environments
- Develop robust software with minimal day two operations for customers, mindful of security as you work on a product that runs untrusted code
You need to have:
- 3+ years of production experience in Golang, Python, C++ or another programming language
- Experience developing scalable back-end services
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform, Ansible or CloudFormation
- A strong familiarity with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment methodologies
- Experience building and supporting production systems
- Experience with infrastructure technology such as AWS, Azure or VMWare
- Understand the need to keep software as simple as possible
We'd love to see:
- Experience contributing to open-source projects
- Experience delivering enterprise software to customers
- An appreciation for how our data sets underpin the world's financial systems - if you don't know anything about finance, you'll pick it up by interacting with a world-class team of market experts.
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status