Senior Software Engineer - IDE Intelligence
San Francisco, CA
Posted May 13, 2022 - Requisition No. 89846
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news and insight. Using the power of technology, we connect the world’s decision makers to accurate information on the financial markets – and help them make faster, smarter decisions.
We’re now going one step further
We are building a new product from scratch to open up our data, core products and visualizations to data scientists, ML researchers, and quantitative modelers. Our users can now fetch and interact with Bloomberg data and products using Python, and apply all the tools of the data science ecosystem to their analyses, unlocking unprecedented flexibility and customizability. Read more about the Bloomberg Quant Platform (BQuant) as well as the story behind it here:
Where do you come in?
Our financial data science platform is built on top of the open-source Project Jupyter ecosystem. Bloomberg has funded major initiatives in the Project Jupyter community, such as JupyterLab, Voilà (a Jupyter dashboarding solution), and a JupyterLab debugger.
You will be developing Jupyter IDE features to increase our users’ productivity, with an emphasis on enhancing how our users discover APIs, code samples, and other development resources.
Who are you?
- You are an experienced full-stack engineer with an interest in IDE features and developer productivity
- You are able to take large, ambiguous problems and turn them into concrete execution plans through research, scoping, and close collaboration with stakeholders
- You have experience mentoring junior engineers
We’ll trust you to:
- Build Jupyter linting tools and intelligent code editing capabilities
- Build code discovery and search capabilities
- Develop and deploy robust software requiring minimal maintenance
You need to have:
- Experience supporting production systems
- An understanding that software should be kept as simple as possible
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- Experience working with search technologies such as Apache Solr
- Experience building full-stack applications, including service APIs and database design
- Experience contributing to open-source projects
- An appreciation for how our data sets underpin the world's financial systems - if you don't know anything about finance, you'll pick it up by interacting with a world-class team of market experts.
If this sounds like you, apply!
We recently posted a "meet the team" blog post, check out the link below to get to know our SF engineering office!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.